possservice - activity increase

Hi All,

I usually like to watch possservice's auctions. They have some interesting stuff, and I may occasionally bid if something strikes my fancy. It may be the same for other auctions, but this one seems to stand out in my mind... BUT I've noticed an increase in activity on bidding. Things are going for much more than *I* think they are worth. AND people are bidding a few hours after the start of the auction on a 6 day auction! Of course this brings up the price to well beyond what the value of the item selling is worth. it seems that tsuba and fuchi/kashira are selling like this. Is there a shortage somewhere?

Has anyone noticed this at other auctions/seller on eBay? Just curious if it's a trend.

Cheers,

Deron

well all I can say is there is no accounting for taste. People it seems just love spending too much money on very average items. It never ceases to amaze me.

This of course is just my opinion, but I have a mate who has a collection of this guys stuff, a lot of it is not too good.

Rich

you like the koshirae with NBTHK paper, family mon, lacquered WOOD tsuba for over 1k ?

not too long ago ( a few years back ), someone was bitching about wood tsuba, well, I guess wood tsuba does exist, just not very common.

Milt the ronin

Yes, wooden Tsuba exist, but they are uncommon. I have also seen some wooden Kozuka, also very uncommon....

Anyone out there who want to share some pictures of wooden fittings? It´s an interesting subject in need of more research.

Jesper

On the same note, I have heard of tsuba that were made of laquered leather. Does anyone have more info / pics on leather tsuba?

I think that's narikawa ( spelling ? ) tsuba, Haynes catalogs illustrated a few/ Usually the lacquered leather s are sandwiched with metal plates.

Klick on this tachi koshirae, the tsuba is leather bound with yamagane

http://www.esnips.com/doc/63595911-ef87 ... 107/tachi3

I will try to locate more pics later.

milt the ronin

Yes, wooden Tsuba exist, but they are uncommon. I have also seen some wooden Kozuka, also very uncommon....

Anyone out there who want to share some pictures of wooden fittings? It´s an interesting subject in need of more research.

Jesper

Indeed they do, I have seen a couple over the years. I'll see if I can dig anything up, fun idea Jesper. I also saw a full set of kodogu in Tokyo that was finished/made of lacquered Same. Tsuba, Fuchi Kashira, Kozuka and round button type menuki.

The things some people wear.

Rich

Masayuki............once knew a babe named Yuki in college ( fond memory ) :badgrin: I can skip the Masa though, two " gimei Muramasa " is more than anyone can handle.

ummm, you think those " dark green " papers could be Yakuza induced ?

May be if you re-submit to NBTHK again, you won't get " Masayuki "........may be they'll call it something else, :badgrin: , you agree, Kapitan ?

milt the ronin

I have bought two kashirae for waks from possservice. Both were outstanding for the price, one was a typical bushi style, the other had a lobster theme going. Both I got for under $750 total. Now compare that to what it would cost to have a handle rewrapped, or a saya made, and I think I did damn good.

I have bought two kashirae for waks from possservice. Both were outstanding for the price, one was a typical bushi style, the other had a lobster theme going. Both I got for under $750 total. Now compare that to what it would cost to have a handle rewrapped, or a saya made, and I think I did damn good.

Hi John,

Yup. I got some nice stuff from him over the years as well. As a matter of fact, just picked up a really nice tosho tusba at the post office from him. the price was good and the quality excellent. Couldn't be happier... well I could if it were cheaper, but that's not his fault.

His stuff tends to vary, some is really good for the price. Other stuff should be stayed away from. But it's like that everywhere.

I'll send you some pics privately in a minute.

Deron

Masayuki............once knew a babe named Yuki in college ( fond memory ) :badgrin: I can skip the Masa though, two " gimei Muramasa " is more than anyone can handle.

ummm, you think those " dark green " papers could be Yakuza induced ?

May be if you re-submit to NBTHK again, you won't get " Masayuki "........may be they'll call it something else, :badgrin: , you agree, Kapitan ?

milt the ronin

Hi Milt,

You can wait few more generations or three more decades....then submit your "gimei Muramasa", it will eventually papered or might go higher to Juyo status....LOL

• 1 month later...

of course he's ok, stuffs getting better ( and price going higher :cry: )..............even gift wrapped the tsuba, can't bitc%$# about that.

to be on the safe side............. bid on the papered stuffs.

milt the ronin

well all I can say is there is no accounting for taste. People it seems just love spending too much money on very average items. It never ceases to amaze me.

This of course is just my opinion, but I have a mate who has a collection of this guys stuff, a lot of it is not too good.

Rich

Hi Rich, Deron, all,

As a wise man writes, we create our own reality. Of course we get plenty of help creating our collecting reality from the folks on the auction sites. Especially, when it comes to the availability of mediocre nihonto and tosogu items. Yes, there seems to be a lot of money being spent upon mediocrity these days. Which is fine, after all we must live within our means, right? Secondly, if we look and collect mediocre items long enough, they actually begin to look pretty darn good to our own eyes, and what's wrong with that? Thirdly, it means never having to cross that scary psychological barrier of having to gain the knowledge necessary that it takes to buy an outstanding piece, phew! Speaking of spending serious money :shock: , its also a lot easier spending mediocre sums 20 times instead of spending it all at once, easier to explain it to the wife too! Hmm, and then there is that 20:1 issue, and one item gets boring so very quickly, even if it is an outstanding piece. And, besides, spouting off a 20 is a lot more impressive to the friends.

"Here today, here tomorrow!"

I agree that 20 items before the peanut-gallery is a better show than 1 great item. The collector has to decide how much the peanut gallery matters to him. Different collections for different audiences. I have a few pieces in my own collection that aren't very upper crust...but dosh gawn it... I like them.

I'd recently put some things on eBay and looked around at what others had for sale. I marked a few tsuba to follow. Many / most ended at fair prices with some high and a few low.

But several of the Po-Edo / Posservice ones I had marked went for multiples that made me scratch my head. Several tsuba went for 2x, 3x, or 4x what I think they are worth. I looked into the top bidders a bit, and in some instances they seemed legit bidders. In others you had bidders whose bidding activity was 80% on Posservice with them having bid or won a few small items in Japan.

There was no smoking gun of evidence that said to me that posservice shills. Currently they have 100% feedback... but it does make me wonder.

Interesting observations. If I might add a personal opinion on all of this.

Novice collectors have to make decisions on what to buy but they have a problem which is lack of knowledge and experience. Now then, they can either buy lots of books, go to shows, read forums such as this and learn over time OR they can find a 'Hero', be it a dealer or acquaintance, who will lead them along. These 'Heroes' offer a source of leadership -- and comfort (and often a veil of perceived safety) to the novice as they will do the work and make the decisions for them (as opposed to a real teacher who makes you think it through for yourself). Often you will see an almost Messianic quality develop around them with the 'followers' offering unwavering obedience/defense to them. Be they 'Po' or 'AOI' or other, it is always easier to follow than to lead (IOW make your own decisions, take your own risks, take the lumps -- and come out ahead in the long run). This is not to say that dealers are bad or that the ones being mentioned do not offer wonderful items, or even that they ever asked to be put in the position in the first place. It's just that you have to know which are the wonderful items as opposed to the run of the mill and the downright junk which still requires learning which still requires you to make your own decisions. Therefore, what I believe happens is that 'the followers' see a listing and run the price up because it is from 'whoever' rather than due to what it actually is. 'If it's from -----, it's got to be good'!

In Chicago I was honored to be able to work with the shinsa teams doing support work. At one point I noticed a couple at the pick up desk who had submitted quite a number of fittings. There was a sea of pink in front of them. I felt rather badly for them but then realized this might be a good wake up call. We all get rejections from time to time but I can guarantee that with experience they become fewer and further between. (sort of like dating) Money wasted on the commonplace can be invested in research which in my experience leads to the best rewards.

Or something like that. Just the ramblings of a mad-man. LOL

PS: that Ishigoru wak-tsuba listed last week by Posservice looked to be a winner -- I was really surprised they had it listed. A dealer would have put that at around $2000 minimum.

" PS: that Ishigoru wak-tsuba listed last week by Posservice looked to be a winner -- I was really surprised they had it listed. A dealer would have put that at around $2000 minimum. "

so you saw that too................... :badgrin:

there's another Japanese seller whose stock is getting better albeit there's still a lot of " less desireables " among the rest. They must be unloading collections big time in Japan, damn the weak UNITED STATES DOLLARS !! Most of the guys that buy from me are from Europe and U.K.

milt the ronin

You know I've had this talk with several dealers and avid collectors and the market is NOT for investing short term at the moment. Collect if you love something or for the long haul but not to make a buck (unless you find a real bargain) because the resale just isn't there at present. It seems that in Japan many familes are selling off collections due to inheritance taxes and that the younger generations aren't that interested in the field. (I'm referring to higher end pieces here). The real cream will still be well hidden though I am certain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..