Info on RARE panel painting Portugese Visitors in Japan art

I posted this on Craig's List, but have removed it after someone wrote me saying I should look into this board first for info:

This painting has been in my family since the early 80s. It looks to be framed in the 70s. It belonged to a man my mother knew who passed away in 1985 and left it to her. He was a large oil tycoon through the 50, 60s and 70s and said it was "a gift" to him. That is all I know. I have not had it opened because I didn't want to ruin it. It is, after all, at least 35 years old even if not older. I tried to attach pics... or email me for pics.

It is unique in that it's in sections/panels, normally if you see this at all it's one large painting. I don't know if it's a replica, a painting or a print. It's very pretty! It appears to be on some sort of fabric inside. As i've said, i've not opened it. I'm pricing it based on prints I researched online that recently sold for $300-800 and they were definitely prints and even if this one is a print, the ones sold were ONE image, this is in five panels. They are priced high (if you can find them at all!) It also has unique beauty and sentimental value that makes it a collectible for the next person to enjoy for years to come. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like.

The frame is 70s in gold chip. It has some frame damage, some matting damage and wear. Nothing functional, nor major. I don't know enough about art to state more. ask whatever you'd like though and I will try to answer.

The back says "Portugese Visitors", F74-6422 and Artlore and Artist Unknown. I don't know if the framed item was "the gift" or if he was given the panels and had them framed in the 70s. You never know what they did back in the day when big money was on the line and national art wasn't appreciated as much.

It measures approximately (the frame) 30" high and 51" long and the panels are 18" tall by 6" wide approx. there is no signature that I can see.

Thank you for your help! I've yet to find an appraiser that i can afford that knows about these things. If someone in the Littleton, CO area were willing to appraise and had a resume that shows they know this stuff, I could pay AFTER it sells. Thanks again!

post-359-14196737000946_thumb.jpg

For the NMB members living in Japan: I do a lot of business with A-Cross, a moving company (among their other activities). They also sell screens and stone lanterns at very reasonable prices. Once a year they have a charity sale at the Franciscan Chapel Center in Tôkyô, with some great bargains.

Their screens are of very high quality, and can't be compared to stuff like they sell at the Oriental Bazar on Omotesandô. Here's the link:

http://www.japanesescreens.net/

For the NMB members living in Japan: I do a lot of business with A-Cross, a moving company (among their other activities). They also sell screens and stone lanterns at very reasonable prices. Once a year they have a charity sale at the Franciscan Chapel Center in Tôkyô, with some great bargains.

Their screens are of very high quality, and can't be compared to stuff like they sell at the Oriental Bazar on Omotesandô. Here's the link:

http://www.japanesescreens.net/

there's no hawk !!! :evil:

milt the ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..