Tsuba Identification

Jean

Hi to All Tsuba Worshippers :lol: ,

I do not know any thing about tsuba so I have bought one from a reliable Japanese reliable site (Sei....do, I am not mentionning the name as I could be taxed of doing hidden advertising :lol: ).

Here is the link

http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~sword/tuba/g0037sisi.htm

Any idea of the school, century ......

Thanks a lot from an Ignorant Sword Worshipper :D

Sorry: I am in my Mystic Phase :oops:

Mid (chuki) Edo Jean but I would think mid/late edo would be better, leaning more on the late side rather than the mid. And I think this would paper as Shoami or Aizu Shoami. I think late as the plate is so flat or homogenous.

Just my thoughts on a busy evening still at the office.

is it Beer o'clock yet ?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Atari!!!!

You were right, the Seller has answered :

- Aizu Shoami - Mid Edo.

BTW : I posted another tsuba and as so far without any reply from NMB members, can you give me a hint (soten ...).

It is extraordinary as NMB tsuba collecting members seem more interested in sukashi tsubas than in other kind of tsuba ...

I posted another tsuba and as so far without any reply from NMB members, can you give me a hint (soten ...).

Without trying to sound mean, or being overly nasty Jean, sometimes silence can the the nicest or kindest way of answering. Does that make sense ? If you really want my opinion, then it is Shiiremono. That is of course only just my opinion though.

It is extraordinary as NMB tsuba collecting members seem more interested in sukashi tsubas than in other kind of tsuba ...

For me, my personal tsuba taste leans towards pre Edo sukashi as well as old soft metal guards like Ko Kinko/Mino, Tachi-shi, Tachi-kanagushi etc. I will tolerate sukashi up to or about mid late 1600's and I have a few later tsuba that fullfill a specific collecting taste, but generally speaking, for me, sukashi are the beez neez. I own about only 4 iron ita tsuba.

The late Masayuki Sasano wrote "There are several similarities between the Ji-sukashi technique and Japanese ink painting, sumie, for example: the symbolic designs, the colour of the ink and there is a distinct relationship between the simple boldly emphasized openwork and the naive brush strokes and use of blank spaces of the ink paintings. A harmony between light and dark." I think Sasano sensei summed up Ji-sukashi tsuba marvelously.

I took that off the tsuba page of my kanji pages. It is a quote from Japanese Sword Guards: Masterpieces from The Sasano Collection. It explains a lot about my collecting mind.

Rich

Ataboy,

I knew someone would answer my provocative question

Thanks a lot Rich,

I really do not mind to know if it is crap or not, I am with tsubas as are newbies with fake chinese Nihonto :lol:

In fact I do not even know what means "shiriiemono" I guess the equivalent for kazu uchimono(or perhaps worse).

But why? You shall have to be patient with me because I am here to educate myself and you are all my teachers :o

仕入物

Shiiremono

lterally means "received commodity" and stands for mass produced items with a "brand name", In Tosogu it generally refers to tsuba and fittings made just after the Meiji Restoration ( 1867/68 ) and sold to tourists on the docks at Yokohama and Edo. These fittings are mostly low end but there are some better examples found amongst them from time to time.

Rich

Jean

If you like that sort of tsuba here is one I think might be a better buy.

It is Aizu Shoami, has papers and is cheaper than the other

http://www.finesword.co.jp/sale/kodougu/htm/0611/544/544.htm

The metal looks better to me too and I toyed with the idea of buying it myself a few weeks ago. The motif is Tatsutagawa which is a river that is often a theme in poems.

Thanks Rich, I'll go for the Nihonto koza (I've got all the Nihonto volumes), though I must confess the English is a bit awkward due to the Japanese syntax.

I was waiting for AFU translating the 2nd volume before going after them. :)

Thank you guys, you are wonderful. I was just whistling "with a little help from my friends".

BTW, If any NMB member is stopping by Paris, do not hesitate to contact me for a free drink and a view of my small Nihonto collection. :)

Contact me through PM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..