Japanese Armor

edzo

Hi all,

Can anyone give me any information or thoughts on the armor photos below. Are they parade etc? I am confident that thay are 18th century and some years ago some of the the oroshi was replaced, obviously a delyed restoration. Any assistance or direction would be helpfull.

Respectfully, Ed

post-1490-14196816269291_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816279978_thumb.jpg

post-1490-1419681628945_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816299883_thumb.jpg

Edward, You have attached images that only give glimpses of the several pieces but here goes:

DSC00057 shows a red lacquered helmet, of which more later, and the front of a dou which would seem to belong together. The dou is known as a dangaye dou, one that has the part covering the torso constructed in two layers, sugake laced iyozane (wide scales with spaced lacing) above and kebiki laced kozane (small scales with all over lacing) down to the waist. Both parts look to be false scales as far as I can tell, that is made from solid plates modelled with lacquer to look like scales, hence they would be kirritsuke iyozane and kirritsuke kozane. The finish on the dou is byakuden nuri done by applying a transparent lacquer over gold lacquer. The gessan, the parts hanging from below the dou proper, will almost certainly be kirritsuke kozane and they seem a perfect match for the shikoro (neck guard) of the helmet. The six plate helmet is a bit strange but delightful. I love the ring attached towards the base at the back and the lacquered dragon. I cannot say I have ever seen another of that shape, but that is not surprising - it is a kawari kabuto ('unusual helmet'). Without seeing it in the flesh I would say it is Momoyama period.

The 'helmet' in image DSC00056 is not a real helmet but a fire helmet worn by the military when fire fighting. It would originally have had a cape attached that covered the face except the eyes. The dou in that picture is again kirritsuke iyozane but this time laced in a rather rare way that uses three lengths of lace instead of pairs (mitsu suji gaki). This looks to be 18th / 19th century. Finally the last image shows the shoulder guards of the second dou, laced in the same way, what may be the sleeves and an odd shinguard.

Ian Bottomley

Dear Ian Bottomly,

Thank you for your response and generousity. I didn't want to unpack the entire suits. They have chain-mail in some cases inside the fabric. Inadvertently, i had the red suit with me and ran into Morihito Ogawa a few days ago. He examined and advised me that the suit (red including the kabuto), was early 18th century and that several of the components were related, meaning made together. Most of the lacquered pieces are iron and lacqured but in some cases they are lacqured hide/leather. He also mentioned that some of the oroshi had been redone in recent years. I wondered if they were a parade product or battle suits and or an abandoned retoration project. Most of the fabric appears original and matching. I have not had much success researching the suits on the internet. If you are willing to pas on your apparent knowledge i would be more than happy to post some details and all the components of each assembled suit. The dark helmet includes a leather skull cap in it and silver fukurin with copper and brass fittings.

Respectfully,

I would say you have done well! Is Ogawa san back in Boston or still at the Met in New York. I met him when he was in Museum of fine art and had just finished his excellent reference on the arms and armour in the museum.

Congrats 0 would I be presumtive or out of line to ask where you managed to find this as complete as it seems to be >?

Dear Dr, Brian,

I understand he returned home. I was invited to an afternoon get-together at a local residence. This was on 11/12/11, after his AM schedule with the MFA. My friend was hosting Ogawa san in his home between his appointments. J suggested that i bring a few pieces and expect to meet Ogawa San. Great experience in a relaxed social setting! He is impressive, just watching him examine and confidently identifying/defining a number of items so expiditiously!

The two sets were posted as collateral for a loan 20 years ago that was never paid off. I understand that they were brought to this country by the East India Trading Co. in 1842.

Respectfully,

Dear Ian Bottomley,

This hanbo came with the two suits of armor. My research efforts, thus far are hopefully correct regarding this piece, ( I am a newbie.) I have come up with, Hanbo, Tsubame-bo or gata, mumei, two plate with asa nagashi no ana. Laced, three iron, hinged lames, lacquered (dark brown) in and out. I don’t recall seeing a hinged one before. Traces of gold gilding on the insde of the hanbo. I think this (gold gilding) may be a specific school characteristic. Anything you might be willing to correct or contribute would be appreciated, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks, Working on getting the suits out, just been to busy. Ogawa san did not see this.

post-1490-14196816638739_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816689923_thumb.jpg

Dear Ian,

This was another item with the suits. Quiver, the yanone are forged, the hold at the top of the quiver, the part that is hinged seems to be covered (iron), with a membrane and stiched. I'm thinking fish skin? all the other fittings are copper and the pouch is leather with drainage holes at the bottom. 18th century.

Regarding the top of the quiver, that hinged arrow hold i just noticed that the attached metal section securing it to the quiver, it is made of copper and the "hinged arrow hold plate" is iron covered be skin.

post-1490-14196816696267_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816698626_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816700139_thumb.jpg

Edward, The hanbo is rather a nice item but has been relaced wrongly in the fairly recent past. The cross-knots etc are fine, it is the blue lacing that is modern and incorrect - it should not run over the edge of the upper plate but under it. I'm not sure it belongs to either dou you showed. I do like the tare- having a central hinge is a bit unusual, they normally have two per plate when hinged.

The quiver is again a really nice item. The arrows however are not Japanese - I suspect African.

Ian

Dear Ian and Dr. Brian B.’

I’ll start with the red suit Kabuto first. If you can lend any information it will be appreciated. On the very top of the red helmet there is a small, ¼” hole that may have supported a finial? The silk cords ar a very dark blue which can be seen is the more protected areas between the lames. Looks to be made up of 8 plates with rivets filed flat. Ed

post-1490-14196816763061_thumb.jpg

post-1490-1419681676726_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816770648_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816773166_thumb.jpg

Edward, I could not give you any more info on your armor than what Ian has told you but you might find some more pictures etc on the type of quiver you have. I have seen this type of quiver being called "shiko", try searching for shiko yebira, shiko quiver or shiko ebira.

Dear IanB, Dr. Brian, and others,

Here is the Do, it is hinged on the right side. All metal plates and heavy. These pieces are related to the helmet. (Suneate/Do. pictured) Note on the breast plate that there is one brass ring mounted (left upper side of chest, it appears that there are three additional slots on the chest for what I would assume three more rings, but are missing, at least the one is likely original. Many of the openings are fitted with fancy brass grommets. The red urushi looks to me to have been completely gilt with gold at one time, wondered if that meant anything? On the rear (back face of the armor there are two iron fittings, likely to hold a banned. Any information or comments from you or any other members is welcome. Otherwise hope you enjoy them. Ed.

Edit; I wanted to add that the shino on the suneate ar connected together by chain-mail and i have the matching kutsujirushi (not shown. Also that the Kakozuri i think is leather. ed

post-1490-14196816777148_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816781137_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816784419_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816787615_thumb.jpg

post-1490-1419681679102_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816794476_thumb.jpg

Dear IanB, DrBrian, and Members,

Here are more images of related pieces to the red armor. A pair of matching kote constructed with chain-mail, hijigane and metal lozenges ? on a blue silk. The inner side of the tekko is lined with doe skin? See close-up. I’m not sure what the long, chain mail component is, possibly a belt? I left the suneate in the photo. The haidate came with the ensemble, not sure if related however, the scales are lacquered leather and show traces of gold gilt. The reverse fabric is consistent with the blue fabric on the other pieces. Any input here would be greatly appreciated as well.?? ed

Edit i'm hoping that the sode (related), are in one of the remainig packing boxes.

post-1490-14196816827308_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816828681_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816830782_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816832139_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816833751_thumb.jpg

Edward, Now that we have some images, there is something to work with. First the helmet. I still think it has a Momoyama look about it. 6 or 8 plate helmets were common enough at that period, often of rather thick plates because there were a lot of bullets flying around. I couldn't even begin to guess who made it, it is just one of the many, rather quirky helmets made during that period and just after. The peak is very like a standard Hineno zunari kabuto which were made by everybody and his brother. The hole in the top, tehen, may or may not have had an ornamental fitting, tehen kanamono. I would guess not, but you should be able to tell by whether the lacquer is marked around the hole or not. I have never seen a helmet with a ring in the position yours has. Normally it would be attached to the bowl itself. The original purpose, Heian period, was to carry a small flag to indicate the person you were following, becoming just ornamental later. Yours would have had a small agemaki bow hanging from it and it may well have been put on at a later date.

The helmet does not belong to the dou and other parts you show. As I said earlier, these are done in Byakuden nuri, which if memory serves was done by coating gold lacquer with a special transparent lacquer containing sandal wood oil (? not sure which oil, but definitely a plant oil). It gives a splendid effect, but the outer layer is prone to flaking off, as has happened to your armour in places. The dou is a dangaye ni mai do (in two sections with more than one lacing style in the torso). You can also describe it as a dou having sugake laced kirritsuke iyozane at the top and kirritsuke kozane at the waist. This is I think an early Edo period dou (17th or early 18th century). It looks as if the lowest plates of the gessan may have had a leather or fabric covering below the lacing at some time - they look a bit unfinished. Fur was common for this purpose, but was done by sticking bunches of bear bristles into lacquer and usually leaves traces. Yours seems to have been stripped off completely. The sleeves and suneate obviously belong to the dou, the haidate probably being associated since the fabric is different from the sleeves and the lacquer looks a lighter colour. Having one ring on the dou on the right is not unusual - it generally signifies the dou is a bit earlier. The second ring being added later for symmetry. The slots on the waki ita attached to front are a puzzle. Normally at that point there would be a braid tie, or a kohaze toggle, attaching the upper part of the plate to the dou front, like the rear waki ita here. This looks as if they did something else since they don't line up with the lacing on the dou front and have eyelets. They clearly held a sizable flat braid, like the shoulder-strap fastenings. My initial thought was that they might have been attachment points for wakibiki to guard the armpits, but you would need them on the back section as well. I'm stumped by these holes at the moment.

Most interesting, and very rare, is the long strip with mail on it. I have seen one other, but cannot for the life of me remember where or what they are called. they were worn under the armour to protect the hips, under the yurugi ito, the long lacing from which the gessan hang. I have also seen a dou with them 'built in' as a series of mail covered flaps fastened to the lower edge of the dou behind the lacing. In fact I have a couple of these flaps kicking around somewhere.

Ian B

Dear IanB,

Thank you for sharing the wealth of information that you posses. I learned a lot from your input. I hope at some time i can return your generosity.

Would it be probable that this zunari kabuto would have be worn with the do or unlikely because it conflicts with the Do (not a likely match)? What type of kabuto would likely be worn or expected with this Do? Its easy to understand how these ensembles get combined over time. Most of the suits I viewed visually (photos/diagrams) which are quite limiting, led me to think the do was late Sengoku or just after period, primarily because of the extent/diversity of workmanship, that it was likely owned and worn by a wealthy or high ranking retainer at one time. Would the Sode lames incorporate the same lacquer treatment/technique?

Ed F

Dear IanB, DrBrian,

Here is the other suit. I found an extra pair of Sode (silk pads on the reverse) in these boxes though, I’m not sure the extra pair are suitable for the red suit. The first (top is an iron lame), the other lames are lacquered leather. Is this common?

The kabuto is a lacquered bowl with copper and brass fittings that may have been silvered at one time. The fukurin on the bowl look to be silver but may be plated copper . The brass plates are engraved with floral motifs. Any idea on the kamon? It appears to be lacquered or enameled on thin brass plates. No iron in the kabuto all soft metals.

The Do and Sode are lacquered iron and the Gassan are all lacquered leather. Was this a common practice they look old. Overall looks to be a restoration project set aside many years ago. Some of the ito is newer and some original? Remains as if an effort to use the same colours were replaced. The kote/tekko are lacquered iron with chain-mail. The suneate are iron and the knots at the flap on top are securing exposed octagonal? iron washers incorporated into the design, un-lacquered. There is what looks to be a shoulder or neck cushion??? No other components.

Are both of these suits worthy of restoration or just preservation, if you know? Regarding photo 3150 is this the top (exposed when worn?)

post-1490-14196816929976_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816933712_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816937497_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816941552_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816945112_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196816948475_thumb.jpg

The kabuto is a lacquered bowl with copper and brass fittings that may have been silvered at one time. The fukurin on the bowl look to be silver but may be plated copper . The brass plates are engraved with floral motifs. Any idea on the kamon? It appears to be lacquered or enameled on thin brass plates. No iron in the kabuto all soft metals.

Edward, the kabuto you pictured is not actually armor, it is a "kaji kabuto". This type of kabuto was worn by samurai fire officials, it would probably have had a cape made from thick cloth attached under the rim, there might be attachment points on yours.

100_8058.jpg

Edward, As Eric has just said, the 'helmet' you show in this batch of images isn't a helmet in the real sense but a headpiece worn in the event of a fire, the attached cape covering most of the face. They were worn either for supervising the fighting of a fire, or to escape from one. Women wore a similar cape, the upper part being shaped like a court cap to protect their hair and face.

Now. Would the red helmet be worn with the Byakudan lacquered dou? No, they have nothing to do with each other and have become associated at some time in the past. Nevertheless, a very desirable helmet and dou.

The current do is I suspect somewhat later than the other. The presence of stencilled leathers and the copper kanamono were re-introduced during the Edo period as the prospects for war diminished. It is a kirritsuke iyozane ni mai dou (in two parts joined by a hinge lacquered to look like iyozane scales) and interesting in that it is laced in the mitsu suji gaki style in which three lengths of braid are used rather than the usual two. This is not common at all and it is a good quality piece. The detached collar of the dou seems to have the kikko work covered with black velvet which would have come from the Dutch at this period. Again a nice touch. The sode have nothing to do with the dou and I suspect that what you have is a collection of unrelated items that someone has assembled to make up a 'set'. The sleeves are a bit odd. The armouring ends on the upper arm and there is no elbow plate. This arrangement was common on Muromachi armours worn with the big o-sode that completely covered the upper arm. Yours are not of that period, but were obviously imitating the idea and may have been made for an armour with o-sode during the late 18th or early 19th century.

Ian

Dear IanB and EricT,

Thank you for generosity and time. This information will help me bundle the items so that they can be sold. These items were taken as collateral for a cash loan many years ago that has not been paid back. Unfortunately, financial conditions have now forced this remedy. Im thinking that the brown suit and components with one set of Sode and the kaji kabuto to be a lot. The Daiko, Quiver, Hanbo and Zunari Kabuto, to be sold separately and the Byakuden nuri suit and components, including the other set of Sode as a single lot. I think these would be fair and marketable groupings. Any thoughts? Ed F

Most interesting, and very rare, is the long strip with mail on it. I have seen one other, but cannot for the life of me remember where or what they are called. they were worn under the armour to protect the hips, under the yurugi ito, the long lacing from which the gessan hang. I have also seen a dou with them 'built in' as a series of mail covered flaps fastened to the lower edge of the dou behind the lacing. In fact I have a couple of these flaps kicking around somewhere.

Ian B

I have only seen one other of these kusari belts, most probably wore out, there is another rare type of belt that covered the groin area, I have seen three of these.

Another kusari belt.

4e45e25919d37.jpg

4e45e29779562.jpg

Lower abdomen/groin protector, cloth with kusari (chain armor) lining.

100_6177.JPG

Hi Eric,

I've seen the groin item in a sketch book of armor components and how to suit up, (17 items) in a specific order. Source noted that dressing in their armor (how and what techniques they employed (clans), were guarded and passed down). The mail on your piece looks a little heavier and possibly a diff cinfiguration of linkage. I read that they were mostly lacqured to prevent rust. I'll see if i can dig it up and send it along. Ed F

Dear Eric T.,

I have attached the photos i promised. I noticed that the kusari is quite different and more beefy than the sleves. I may consider selling the piece seperately primarily because i think it was an option when ordering armor, and the slightly different construction. Let me know if the photos were OK. ed f

img189.pdf

post-1490-1419681715911_thumb.jpg

Dear Eric T.,

I have attached the photos i promised. I noticed that the kusari is quite different and more beefy than the sleves. I may consider selling the piece seperately primarily because i think it was an option when ordering armor, and the slightly different construction. Let me know if the photos were OK. ed f

Ed, thanks for the additional pictures of the kusari belt, it is very close in looks to the one I posted, belts of this type were probably common at one time but like many of the auxiliary armor items like wakibiki, manchira and manju no wa are now quite rare due to wear and tear, as many of these items were worn under armor and just plain lack of interest by collectors makes these items less desirable for dealers to find and sell compared to other armor items. These auxiliary armor items filled in some of the obvious and often pointed out gaps in samurai armor. When a suit of samurai armor is viewed with a full compliment of these extra armor items the gaps in the armor look less vulnerable to an easy attack.

Hi Eric,

That make sense to me. I agree, I thought you'd be interested in the close-up photo of the mail on my piece as compared to yours which exhibited a different construction technique. My impression was that your piece may be more in keeping and was influenced by European Mail Armor. Don't know just a thought.

Edward, Your belt is done with Japanese style mail, Eric's with namban gusari imitating European mail. The latter variety became quite popular during the Momoyama and Edo periods but to my mind was a bit of a disaster since none of the links lie in the plane of the mail. Since the Japanese always sewed the mail to a backing, the links don't lie flat. Even worse was the fact that mail was often used in conjunction with plates and connecting this mail to them was invariably rather messy with the links being at an angle.

Ian B

Edward, Your belt is done with Japanese style mail, Eric's with namban gusari imitating European mail. The latter variety became quite popular during the Momoyama and Edo periods but to my mind was a bit of a disaster since none of the links lie in the plane of the mail. Since the Japanese always sewed the mail to a backing, the links don't lie flat. Even worse was the fact that mail was often used in conjunction with plates and connecting this mail to them was invariably rather messy with the links being at an angle.

Ian B

Ian, you are right about the Japanese mail laying flat and there was probably a good reason that the European pattern became popular, one thing I have noticed about the old style Japanese mail is that it tends to snag on itself rather badly, also on other mail or cloth it comes in contact with, the European pattern mail seems to be much less prone to that problem.

Eric, You are quite right, it does snag, but in my experience only when it is the type having the oval links made up of more than one turn of wire. The mail makers seem to have cheated by cutting the wire short so that the outside looked like a double turn, but with the ends only just threaded through the round links. On the reverse side, you will find only a single length of wire. It is these short ends that lift and cause the snagging. If they had taken the ends round to the underside so they met, it wouldn't have been a problem. I don't know why so much namban kusari was made other than the fact that it was easier to assemble and only needed one type of link. I would guess the making of links was out-sourced , and probably the actual assembly of the mail as well. I cannot see an armourer sitting in his workshop fiddling about with a load of links - his time would cost too much.

Ian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..