Help with ID and tell me about this sword

GunJam

Okay there is one tradition that I have with all my battle weapons...and that is they should be usable and in working order as it would be on a battlefield and as intended by the creator of that weapon.

This is true for my bayonets, my M1 carbine, M1 Garand, the SKSs and even the arasaka. I have never fired the arasaka and it was never fired before but it is battle ready and I even have quality ammunition for it. The arasaka would shoot well if I ever felt like doing so. I never intend to use the gunto but I would like it to be in usable condition. would a single bamboo peg suffice to be consider suitable for battle...this is why a steel screw was used correct?

Thanks

-Nick

Thats good to know!

What is the purpose of the 2nd peg made from bamboo on this sword. This peg goes through the handle and butts up against the tang... Does this stop the tang from wiggling or vibrating inside the handle, to help ensure a tight fit?

Thanks!

-Nick

The second peg seems to have no function at all, in this case. I would discard or retain for artifact completeness, but there is no traditional function for such a peg.

The NCO style tsuka used two screws. Some say because of "battlefield experience" showing a single screw was a weak point. Others feel its really more a side effect of the lack of quality in the fitting of the mass-produced ncos, such that it helped hide rattles and secure what would otherwise have been an ill-fitting tsuka.

Traditional nihonto used a single retaining peg, typically made from bamboo. Some nakagos have more than one hole, but this is typically because of alteration (shortening) or fitting into new koshirae.

For modern swords there is a debate as to whether two mekugi are better. Most agree that proper inspection and replacement is better that simply using two of something. It takes a fair bit of skill to angle the holes so that the pins do not end up fighting one another.

In general, two mekugi are found on low-end production swords. When the tsuka is properly fitted a single retaining pin is just fine.

I suggest a single properly tapered bambo peg for your sword. In theory the palm side ana should be larger in diameter to accept the taper.

Regards

just want to add one thing :

bamboo is stronger than screw ... knock your sword, and the screw may break, and jumping out of the blade, thus when you swing it, the blade may fly away in order to find its own target without notificatio

bamboo on the contrary, when faced with countless bumps and knocks, will break into fibers ... these fibers are still able to hold the sword in its place, even though the sword is rattling in its place when swung, and this is also a notification that you should change the mekugi ASAP :D

My opinion of why the one hole is blind?

The blade wasn't made for this koshirae, and the tsuka is added later from another sword. The blade was originally mounted as a standard Shin Gunto possibly, that only used one ana. This tsuka was added later, which uses 2 mekugi, and hence the one hole isn't used. Someone added the bamboo peg to close the hole and make it look complete.

Brian

Could be Brian! Doubt it was done by an American or anyone other than the Japanese during WWII would probably be an interesting story.

I went ahead an cleaned up the old screw which wasn't as damaged as it looked. I used a drill to turn the screw and a dremmel to grind off the bite marks as the drill spun the screw then i recut the slot for the screw driver tip and made it a bit wider and deeper so a larger tip could be used it looked brand new with the exception of the galled threads which didn't do anything anyhow. I put a light coat of oil and used a large screw driver to reinstall it. It screwed right down and tightened up very well. I figured I would reuse the screw which looked to be original I figured if it was good enough then it was good enough now...I didn't have the heart to chuck it out either.

I reinstalled the bamboo peg just as it was before..So this sword is as good as it was when I received it and as far as I can tell it is how the sword smith intended it to be... everything feels ridged and just like the arasaka I'm highly confidant it could easily stop a hoard of street zombies and one would not have to worry about the blade flying out of the handle.

Thanks

On Brian's comment about the changing of tsuka...I honestly don't think so Brian...all sorts of combinations are found, and IMO are virtually all original. In this case, I think the tsuka is original as the nakago has the "Gi" stamp and if Nick looks, he might find it on the tsuba also (not always)...so as only the Type 3 have the "gi" stamp, I think this is most likely still complete.

I have a gendaito in type 98 mounts...original...the nakago has two holes, but only one on the tsuka. I have seen a number of (especially) Type 3 on ebay over the years with two holes in tsuka but 1 hole in nakago and vice versa...also I have seen two screws used, two pegs and also one of each...it seems quite random I know, but in most cases is "as is".

Just my observations over the years.

regards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..