Identification of Unknown Sword

shepps

Can anyone shed any light on this blade I do not think its Japanese. I bought it about 20 years ago from a second hand dealer I knew. It was in bad shape with rust pitting and missing the hilt/handle when I bought it. The saya is wood with silver wrapped around it. The blade is very sharp. I was told it was a cheap Burmese dah. Oh they also said it was a tourist junk. Based on this assessment I have been using it to practice my martial arts. I have never really used it for proper cutting practice; I like it to much for that. I only use it to test my accuracy and even slow and gentle strikes make light work of a suspended 4" x 4" fence post. The tang is roughly triangular but un-even; it is smooth and a dark black in colour. The very tip of the tang is unfinished and left to reveal the core. I have just been looking at this with my new 30x jeweler’s loupe and the steel looks folded. It looks like the cross section of a Cadbury’s choc flake. The cross section of the blade is triangular. The blade is not sharp down to the tang and I can not see a hamon. The edge of the blade appears to have fine lines along it, kind of like the edge of puff pastry. I’m now starting to think that it may be better than I was told and starting to wonder if I should be cutting with it. Any help appreciated, many thanks Stephen Shepperd.

post-296-14196736373772_thumb.jpg

post-296-14196736374231_thumb.jpg

post-296-14196736374731_thumb.jpg

That is not a Japanese sword. Looks like a chinese fake. Folded doesn't mean real. Some chinese fakes will look like damascus gone wrong.

I would not cut anything with it. You don't know how it was made or what it's made off. It's a safety issue. Also, not sure how its going to improve your MA skills by swinging something around without a handle. If you have a sensei he will tell you the same.

mike

Thanks very much for posting; I almost gave up waiting for any anyone to answer. Regarding the safety issue, I have a great respect for all weapons as they are all dangerous, even the fakes. I would not use any antique weapon for physical martial arts practice. I have too much respect for the past masters for that. No I have a Paul Chen for cutting, which for the price is very good indeed. You may rest assured that I don’t walk around the streets poking cats with sticks. Or stand on one leg pretending to do the crane kick like the karate kid. I am 39 years old and have been studying the martial arts for some 25 years. In those years I have learned patience but more importantly, not to “go around swinging anything†with or without a handle. I find it best to avoid external conflict, as the greatest battle is within. I intend no offense but you make me sound like brain dead moron. I thought it would be obvious but, this sword has a tsuka. I removed it so you could see the tang.

Perhaps my original post was a little vague, I am not seeking approval or an appraisal, the sword is NOT for sale. Also I don’t feel this blade is valuable or a lost national treasure. I was just hoping someone with more experience would share their knowledge.

I thought the blade looked Chinese, not sure about the fake bit though. From my experience I have found that most fakes generally have a “to good to be true†look about them. This blade is very plain and ordinary with no visible grain or hamon. If it is a fake the …err... faker spent a long time making a good, strong and very sharp blade with no redeeming features. The silver work on the saya is very fine; I would be surprised if he made much profit. Of course the saya may not be original to the blade. The blade is plain bland and ordinary but it has a good shape and balance and is very good quality hard steel. I have seen examples of the Damascus gone wrong with the acid etched hamon. This is not one of those. They feel cheap and silver plated with a lack quality and no finishing touches. The fakers aim is to get as many $ as they can. I have never seen a faker with “pride in the job†what do you think?

Regards

Stephen Shepperd

Stephen,

I agree with you that this doesn't look like a typical Chinese fake sword to me. I think the lack of replies usually indicates everyone out there is just as confused as you, and have nothing constructive to add. Sometimes no conclusion can be drawn from the images, and we all wait to see if anyone has the answer.

You did not say if the handle is a Japanese style tsuka, or something else. This would indicate to me if it was a copy of Nihonto, or if it is a native weapon of some other country.

Might very well be some tribal sword from Bali, Indonesia, Phillipines or other Eastern country. Looks like it was made for jungle work or as a daily tool for carry. No real way to find out unless there are some edged weapons experts out there who know the style.

I would suggest posting this on SFI (see links above) as there is discussion about various countrie's weaponry. I don't think it is Japanese, but that doesn't make it a fake necessarily. Could be though..no easy answer.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Stephen,

Your sword, having been bought 20 years ago, is not likely to be Chinese fake. It looks like a simple Burmese dah, the saya is also typical to this kind of sword. So the guy who sold you the sword was probably right. Mike

Stephen,

This is my first post here after being a long time lurker and I believe that the reason why it took a while for someone to respond was because of the 4"x4" suspended fence post comment in your post.

I must admit that my first thought was :roll: and swiftly moved on as I've read similar claims on JSA forums where the guys were told to 'get out of town' in no uncertain terms.

However,that's completely off topic and I'm afraid that I've no idea as to what blade this is although I've seen similar for sale in various Ports in S.E.Asia over 40 years ago which,IIRC cost less than $5.US or the equivalent to 2 bottles of duty free Scotch at that time but never one with the koshirae/fittings removed,I can only agree with what's been said above and SFI may well be your best option.

No offence is meant and I sincerely hope that you or anyone else take any. ;)

Hey guys, thought I'd just chip in. This looks an awful lot like a Thai or Burmese Dha, sans handle obviously. I say this because of the way it seems to flare upwards from the base and the dramatic taper of the point. The scabbard also seems to have the same type of banding I have seen on these sword. Just google "Dha sword" Jon and I think you'll see what I am seeing. But then again, its only a guess.

Doug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..