Nakajima Rai

congratulations Kevin,

would love to see some images when you get it back

Well, (and to paraphrase the kid's programme Blue Peter) here's some pics I took earlier:

http://www.ryujinswords.com/rai.htm

Now all I've got to do is to sell it for the owner. :-) Not sure if it will come back to the UK There are a few interested parties. If one of them puts money down, it makes more sense to send it to them directly from Japan, rather than for it to come back to the UK first. In any case, I'm not too keen on endlessly unsheathing a sword to rephotograph it - there is always the risk, no matter how small, that the polish may get scratched.

Kevin

Congratulations Kevin,

It is a beautiful blade.

It is. :-) First time I saw it, I said to the guy who owns it that, in my opinion, it would pass Tokubetsu Hozon. He asked if I was sure - I told him I'd put money on it. He said to submit it if it didn't find a buyer quickly. :-) He's quite chuffed at it passing as well. :-)

I have a hunch that it might go further, but that's for the next owner to decide.

Kevin

• 3 years later...

Hi, all. I would just like to flag up an apparent misunderstanding concerning swords belonging to me (including the Nakajima Rai school sword which has been commented on in this forum in the past) and details of which I have learned recently are still appearing on a commercial web site.

Ryujin Swords is showing a wakizashi by Fujiwara Kiyonobu on its site and has marked it as sold. This is not the case. This wakizashi has been my property for many years and remains so. It was left with Ryujin Swords to be sold on commission. In 2012, following a disagreement with the proprietor over the conduct of our business, I requested its return. This request was complied with.

In addition, at my request three other blades belonging to me were returned. Subsequently, our business was concluded satisfactorily, at least as far as I am concerned.

The other items, I have just ascertained, are still appearing on the site more than two years later: a Nakajima Rai school katana (Hozon and Tokubetsu Hozon) - in shin gunto mounts and with shira saya; an Echizen Seki wakizashi with Hozon papers for both the blade and the koshirae; a boy's tachi with signature indicating 56th generation Tomonari. I did ask the proprietor of Ryujin Swords to remove details of my swords from his site, but he declined to do so, the sections containing their details subsequently being modified to "The following swords have been previously been for sale and are listed here for research purposes only". Not really proper behaviour, given that they are my property and I did request their removal from the site, but not the end of the World either, I suppose. These four blades are being put up for sale by me, but I have posted this notification to avoid any confusion about who actually owns the blades, who has them and why they are appearing on someone else's site. I have not yet decided how they are going to be sold, but I am quite happy to take enquiries whilst I am deliberating. Best wishes, DAHM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..