armour work

John A Stuart

Yes, bear hair balding, but, I can get lots up here. The one on the box is a good one for actual combat, bulletproof. The other is an Edo period parade armour, more fancy with those simulated kazane type kusazuri. The older set does fit my grandson 15y.o. It would fit only my thigh, well, with some room, goodness 20 stone isn't too bad on 6'5" frame. :lol: John

John, You are going to have your work cut out replacing the hair on the hishinui no ita. What they don't use is skin with hair on - too much soft underhair I suspect. Every one I've seen has been done by taking bunches of the coarse outer hairs and fastening them in place using a lacquer mixture that may involve filler and rice paste. You have to start at the bottom edge and then work up in horizontal rows like thatching a roof. They seem to have finished the top edge by partially lapping the hair with a strip of paper or leather then finish-lacquering the upper part of the plate. Ugh, what a job. But they do look worth a lot of effort.

Ian Bottomley

• 1 year later...

hope this helps, but I spotted that the hair on this is folded with a small insert, paper, bamboo splinter?

horse hair works well. The few times I've restored hair I've started from the bottom and encapsulated each row with a heavy sabiurushi layer, 20 parts urushi. its worked well. I guess you could use an epoxy glue to save a few weeks?

tsh.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..