16 Ken Suji Kabuto age

shibeni

Hello,

Is it any chance to get some more information about the age and style of my 16 Ken suji Kabuto. I already posted some pictures of Kabuto and armour in "Translation assistance": http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10219. All items are from my small armour collecton.

Thank you for your help.

Bojan S.

post-382-14196802777531_thumb.jpg

post-382-14196802780157_thumb.jpg

Ian and Eric and others are much better than I am, but my guess is early/mid EDO.

Why I think this:

The Tokugawa Kamon and the Tehen strikes me as a later style. I forget the proper Japanese name of the style of the hachi, "Rear Mountain Victory" or something of that nature. It looks like it is Tetsu Sabiji with Kuro Urushi Nuri Shikoro in Kebiki style odoshi. These things I am sure you know. I am sure others with more experience will correct me, but regardless, I like it very much.

Edit: I think the style of the hachi is called Goshozan?

Bojan, That is a very fine helmet bowl. As Justin says it is a 16 plate goshozan suji bachi but with very unusual mabezashi or peak. It is shaped to look like an aoi leaf, is essentially of horse's hoof shape (convex) but also has the concave curvature where it meets the koshimaki. There is a helmet signed by Miochin Munehisa (Mid Edo) in red lacquer illustrated in John Anderson's book on Japanese Armour with a peak that curves up to the koshimaki like this. This is now in the Royal Armouries' collection and the lacquer signature has been written over a chiselled signature. However, there are many other differences so I'm sure it is not by him. I think you helmet is later. Is your helmet signed?

Ian Bottomley

Hello all,

thank you again for your time and useful comments on my Kabuto. I will also try to find Anderon's Jap. armour book. Sadly, only the middle back plate (where used to be a signature) of Kabuto is from inside so rusted, that is inpossible to see if there was a signature. What's left on other plates from inside, are signs of red laquer writting (arsenal numbers?).

I am happy that I can share with you my small armour collection.

Best tegards,

Bojan Sibenik

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..