Bonji : Fudo Myoo?

Klop

Dear members,

I just received my latest acquistition, a fukuro yari with a bonji and gombashi. Of course I'm trying to figure out which bonji this is, but when I look at the list on the kanji pages above all I see is plain text, no pictures of the bonji themselves. Is that just me?

Anyway, some googling led me to a sword which has a bonji that looks like mine, and the description mentions it's Fudo Myoo.

More googling on Fudo Myoo tends to make me think that the bonji on my yari is indeed this one, but not completely sure.

So, what do you think?

Best regards,

Eric K.

post-979-14196802659152_thumb.jpg

post-979-14196802662574_thumb.jpg

post-979-14196802664174_thumb.jpg

Eric,

You lucky bugger. I am really after a fukuro yari or naginata. Just one of those things high on my "lust after" list.

I have this pic, and the pics from the original kanji pages. But will have to seek permission to post those. Let's see if this one helps.

Brian

Bonji.jpg

Brian,

The bonji-pic is great, thanks! And yes, I feel lucky with this piece, seems to have quite some age and then the condition is fine with hamon all there and just a tiny spec of pitting in one flank.

You like Fukuro naginata? Why didn't you tell me sooner, I have a dozen of these, wanna swop for a kikuchi yari?

OK, time to wake up now :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Though I think a nakago naginata is the better design to distribute the sideways force on the pole while slashing - opposed to the frontal force on a yari.

Best regards,

Eric K.

Eric.

I think a nakago naginata is the better design to distribute the sideways force on the pole while slashing - opposed to the frontal force on a yari.

Not wishing to hijack this thread but From this statement I get the feeling that you are under the impression that a yari is entirely a thrusting weapon and a naginata is an exclusively slashing weapon, when in fact neither of these assumptions is true. The hoko variation is merely an alternative method of mounting the blade to the pole. By some it is considered less secure than a nakago style mounting in the case of both weapons. It is also a more ancient way of securing the blade, and was largely discarded in favour of the nakago style mount. In the Edo period it was resurrected for use on very light or parade weapons merely because it involved less crafting of the pole in order to mount the blade.

Gents,

Thanks for your input! I fiddled a bit with a photo editor to create a line-up of the sources and my yari in which I traced the lines. Green is 100% hit, orange the imagniative path.

Conclusion, it must be the fudo myoo.

By the way, I see no difference between the fudo myoo and the kanman. Seems the same image - maybe in a different "handwriting" but the intention looks similar to me.

And Keith, of course you are right about the cutting/slashing actions.

Best regards,

Eric K.

post-979-14196802786835_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..