Help reading Mei

p-joseph

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi

As Sencho says, it's definitely WWII era and it also looks to be signed nakirishi mei as many of the Seki produced showato were....check the following link:

http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/promei.htm

My first ever sword, a showato, had the "Seki" kanji carved in exactly the same way as your example, although by a different man.

Simon

Hi,

According to the following page of Dr. Rich S.,

http://home.earthlink.net/~ttstein/seki.htm

there are at least 8 smiths whose family name begins with 野 including Noro Masanori (野呂正則), such as Nozawa Yasuyuki (野沢康行), Noguchi Hidenobu (野口秀宣), Noguchi Naosuke (野口直助)........

If the photo shows only a part of the mei, I cannot specify the smith.

If it shows whole of the mei, then Sekino (関野) also could be a family name, though I think its chance is rare.

its amazing that the reading of the markings is so different from the formal text listed in the characters listed

Seriously, this gets me every time. I can usually recognize saku and mitsu now but that's about it :). How do you know if a tic mark in a written kanji is a tic or a line in the actual kanji? That masa, for instance. Seems only the stroke count is the same. I assume there's some methodology involved, or is it just pattern recognition?

Thanks

P... (Mr Joseph?)...

Basically translates to Noro Masanori from Seki made this.

With that stamped Seki arsenal stamp..it means it is most likely a wartime non-traditionally made oil quenched blade. Not traditionally forged and folded, but a genuine piece of WW2 militaria.

I expect the value would be anywhere around $800-1500 depending on where you sell it.

Worth anything I guess depends on your idea of what a good value is

:)

Regards,

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..