What are your favorite fittings?

raven2

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My personal favorite 4, as of 3 years ago.

Slight change since then. No photos yet.

To emphasize the idea behind the thread-

often favorites are not those of particular value to others.

One of my current favorites is a simple iron tsuba by a samurai who retired and made arrowheads afterwards. Only made a few tsuba, and is relatively unknown.

post-51-14196802520885_thumb.jpg

For me lately its been mostly iron 'tea taste' tsuba - here's a few from my collection - probably my favorite of all time I is one I shot for somebody a year or three ago, but I can't post that, so...

If this is tooo many, I can pull a few off...

post-285-14196802574661_thumb.jpg

post-285-14196802577832_thumb.jpg

post-285-14196802581066_thumb.jpg

post-285-14196802583669_thumb.jpg

This is a small unassuming tsuba I bought many years ago. It was my first purchase from Aoi Art back in the mid 90's. Since I bought it I have traded it with someone and then by pure chance had the opportunity to buy it back last year. When I originally purchased it it was the cheapest tsuba I had ever bought.

When showing it on another forum some of our US colleagues described the design as "Mickey Mouse" which not being from that great nation and without the exposure to one of their most famous exports I failed to understand :(

I cant explain why, or offer any deep or profound reasoning as to why I like it so much but like most subjective art the proportion, colour and composition just seem to work for me.

post-16-14196802619174_thumb.jpg

I love these two tsuba which are likely both Odachi tsuba of the Nanbokucho to early Muromachi periods. The large koTosho is 10.1 cm x 10.1 cm x 0.35 cm seppadai. The 'steering wheel' tsuba is 11.5 x 11.7 cm x 0.4cm seppadai. They are both very large, totally ubu, simple, with exceptional metal and deep patina.

Best,

Boris

post-2023-14196802624243_thumb.jpg

post-2023-14196802627355_thumb.jpg

Mariuszk, the design was first done by Hayashi Matasichi of Higo and can be seen in the Higo Kinko Taikan. The design was also mimicked by Nishigaki Kanshiro. I am not certain where this example lies, if it is Hayashi School or possibly Suwa School of Higo. At some point I will send it for shinsa.

Mariuszk, the design was first done by Hayashi Matasichi of Higo and can be seen in the Higo Kinko Taikan. The design was also mimicked by Nishigaki Kanshiro. I am not certain where this example lies, if it is Hayashi School or possibly Suwa School of Higo. At some point I will send it for shinsa.

Pete,

many thanks, again I have learned something :-) Great tsuba :clap:

These are 2 of my favourites, the square iron one is signed Nara Saku. I think this may be a standard design for a certain Nara group as I have seen it elsewhere. The small shakudo tsuba is mumei and depicts a "Dutchman" I believe. I do have a good iron piece of 2 tsuru "suivant" which is signed Miochin Yoshihisa and I believe this is Echizen work. I will try to dig it out tomorrow.

Clive Sinclaire

post-1385-1419680275107_thumb.jpg

post-1385-14196802754286_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..