Is this a Japanese Colony occupied Korea sword?

Alan62

I forgot to say I was given this today by a friend and business partner that is 52 years old.He knew I collected swords and just had it laying around and decided to let me have it

He said that it belonged to his fathers and he used to get in trouble for pulling it out of Dads closet and playing with it when he was a kid.

The only reason I wanted to point this out is to let yall know that it has at least 40 years of verifiable age. My business partner had made mention of the sword to me and told me about his childhood mischief before today

but I just never took a look at it , but today he came by and said "Here why don't you keep it" and I said Thank You and gave him an acoustic guitar .

Anyway I just wanted to add all that

Again Thanks for any information or comments

I think the material is sharkskin (sometimes called shagreen?) and is often used on swords worldwide.

Similar to same, but from a shark instead of a ray. I have a deluxe Gunto mount where the saya is covered with this.

I find that sharkskin can often have tiny diamond-shapes to the nodes.

Brian

Thank You Brian,

Can you tell me anything about this type sword?

Am I correct in thinking it a NCO Colony type and also the flower on the side of the hilt with the petals hanging down does that represent the Korean Colony?

Any additional info would be greatly apreciated

Thanks

That is the Kiri (Paulownia) its was use by many Imperial households then laters for clans. Later Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi conferred it on their generals for brave and faitful service. check this web site for the mountings. it may take some diging but that half the fun.

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~t-ohmura/gunto_002.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..