Chounsai Emura Saku - Help Please

FrancisP

Agreed these are not the best Gendaito but as Chris states they are true Nihonto, made from Tamahagane and Water quenched, also recognised by the NBTHK and NTHK.

Junichi you say that they are not real Japanese Swords unless Mr Emura forged them himself, I am sure you know that Nihonto is classified by the contruction, materials used and forging techniques and not by a smiths name.

I think that the Emura below was worth polishing.

post-1605-14196801730975_thumb.jpg

post-1605-14196801732398_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1419680173391_thumb.jpg

post-1605-14196801736205_thumb.jpg

Junichi you say that they are not real Japanese Swords unless Mr Emura forged them himself, I am sure you know that Nihonto is classified by the contruction, materials used and forging techniques and not by a smiths name.

I think that the Emura below was worth polishing.

Are you The Tom Clancy of mystery/thriller fame or do you just share the name?

That aside, I was indirectly questioning whether *most* emura signed & prison made blades actually used real tamahagene. TBH, I don't think they do, and are more like mantetsu blades or murata-to's. I've been told that there is a US swordsmith who signs masamitsu (located in berkeley, ca) who does not use tamahagene and water quenches. So I'm also indirectly questioning whether water quenching is definitive for tamahagene.

I'd also just set the record straight in saying that a blade made by Mr. Emura, traditionally or not, would be something normally considered more worthy for a polish/saya job than the emura-signed prison jobs which really lack the aspects of "good" nihonto. Yes, there is a lot of opinion in this, but if someone told a novice to go get full polish for a machine made gunto, I think we could say that was "bad" advice, regardless of how much sentimental value the novice placed on it. An emura blade is NOT a machine made gunto, but I do believe it falls short of a gendaito in the mold of a yasukunito. Maybe close to seki-smith blades, the lower quality kinds which often aren't kantei'd.

I'd prefer to hang myself with my own words, as opposed to let others put them into my mouth. :glee:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..