Tadakuni wakazashi with a cutting test

Hi all, I am looking at a wakazashi by Harima Daijyo Fujiwara Tadakuni with a cutting test. It has a Suguha hamon but on one side the hamon looks strange. The photos are from the Auction house its on March 22nd. Has someone seen a Tadakuni with a change like that on one side at the machi ? also it looks like Orikaeshi-mei from the photo ? thanks Jim

post-1682-14196799539788_thumb.jpg

post-1682-1419679954101_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive,Barry, Sorry Clive looking again its not orikaishi-mei (should use my glasses :roll: ) but have not seen a Tadakuni with a hamon like that. Barry is your Tadakuni Suguha ? also what do think is on the blade some coating maybe ?

post-1682-1419679967795_thumb.jpg

Jim

I have 2 shodai Tadakuni, one is typical Hizen-to with tight ko-mokume hada and suguha hamon, some sumi-hada and rather shallow zori whilst the other is quite different. It has a large clear itame-mokume hada with large gunome in nie and a friend of mine also has one that resembles Ishido or Ichimonji work with a very Bizen type of choji-gunome. It seems that Tadakuni had many influences and a great talent, and studied in several places. This sword looks like a good example from the little I can see.

Clive Sinclaire

Here's the full description :

A Japanese wakizashi by Harima Daijyo Fujiwara Tadakuni, Hizen school circa 1664.

The blade (511mm) with ko niedeki suguha midare hamon. The tang with single hole and engraved signature

Kawachi Kami Fujiwara. Additionally engraved to the opposite side of the tang

and inlaid with gold is a Kinzogan mei (cutting test) performed by

Yamano Kauemon Nagahisa, the official tester for the shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu.

The test was performed on 11 june Kanbun year. In black lacquer saya. The hilt, silk

bound rayskin covered, with Mogarashi school shakudo/gold menuki of samurai on horseback and in a boat.

The fuchi carved as woven basket work overlaid with gold and silver blossom.... Overall in saya 710mm.

Estimated price : $22,000 NZD so about 11000€ (so for people with reasonably deep pockets)

Hi Clive, This is a interesting blade, the only thing is its hard with so so photos.and no closeup of the strange end to the hamon.and the patches.and no Paper, but looks good,its something to think about :? I also have a Katana by hizen Jyu Harima Kami Fujiwara Tadakuni AD1663 it has a Tight ko-tame-hada,and ji-nie in Gunome-choji (It seems that Tadakuni had many influences and a great talent, and studied in several places.) yes :!: he has made me a convert, :D but I am seeing a lot more Suguha blades ?did he do others types than the large gunome,and Gunome-choji ? (and studied in several places) I remember one what was the other? thanks

for the help much appreciated. Barry thanks for the info on the book it was one I did not get as I had it a long time ago but have ordered it now :)

The tang with single hole and engraved signature

Kawachi Kami Fujiwara.

Are you sure about this? Kawachi Kami Fujiwara is nidai Masahiro and I don't believe it was ever awarded as a title to Tadakuni.

Kinzogan mei (cutting test)

Also, sorry for being being a bit picky but wishing to avoid any confusion, Kinzogan mei actually means "gold inlay name" and not "cutting test", as I am sure you are aware.

but I am seeing a lot more Suguha blades ?did he do others types than the large gunome,and hunome-choji ? (and studied in several places) I remember one what was the other

I think that you are correct in that most of his swords are in suguha and this was prtobably a stipulation laid down by the Ogi fief (a branch of the Nabeshima Han). I believe that he made frequent visits to Edo and studied Bizen-den under the Edo Ishido school. It was probably on these visits, free from the clan restraints, that he made more of the choji and gunome hamon. Eguchi states that the nidai also went to Edo and studied "under the Ichimonji descendant Shirobei Noriyoshi. As part of the Hashimoto fanily and with a host of talented swordsmiths in Saga at this time, I suspect Tadakuni was spoilt for choice with teachers as even his father was a good smith, Hirosada (Yoshiie)

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Hi Clive, I to thought someone stuffed up on the description. I think the Harima Daijyo Fujiwara Tadakuni is the right one.

I know he changed to Harima Kami Fujiwara Tadakuni later, do you have an idea when that was ?as the date looks off ?

thanks

I know he changed to Harima Kami Fujiwara Tadakuni later, do you have an idea when that was ?as the date looks off ?

Although Eguchi credits shodai Tadakuni with the Harima Kami title but gives no date, I think this is more associated with the nidai and I have never seen the shodai with any title other than Harima Daijo. Of course, this proves nothing except my possible incompetence. Nidai is thought to have received the Harima Kami title in the Enpo era (1673) but even this is not 100% certain.

It's a lovely spring morning here in Kent (UK) and I have been out with my gun looking for rabbits!

Regards

Clive

Hi Clive,

Although Eguchi credits shodai Tadakuni with the Harima Kami title but gives no date, I think this is more associated with the nidai and I have never seen the shodai with any title other than Harima Daijo.
Clive My blade has a Tokubetsu Hozon paper and as I am going on the paper but do not read Japanese I thought Harima Kami was given later in Kanbun era this is the paper. Maybe some mix-up with the Nidai ? as I have not seen the Nidai with this title, also did you get some rabbits ? :) as always it is a pleasure conversing with you thanks

post-1682-14196799870084_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim

Like I said, there is some dispute about whether or not shodai Tadakuni had Harima no Kami title but your Tokubetsu Hozon certificate clearly states that this is a blade by shodai Tadakuni, so NBTHK obviously thinks that he did receive the title. However, this MAY still not be correct, although I see it was a very recent shinsa and I would not dare to try and say the NBTHK could possibly be mistaken!. However, Fujishiro, for instance in Shinto Jiten, only acknowledges nidai with Harima no Kami. I wonder if yours has been classified as shodai because it does not have a Kiku or Botan inscription on the nakago which are only seen on nidai,, as otherwisw the workmanship between the 2 generations is considered very similar? I also notice the machi-okuri on your sword, which may mean any Botan was removed, but I would have thought this to be highly unlikely. Altogether an interesting debate and I will check other Hizen references during the course of the day and see what they have to say. Thank you very much for showing the origami of your interesting orikaishi-mei Tadakuni katana.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

PS: The rabbit population of Kent remains in tact as I shot none. Those that I saw unfortunately presented awkward shots as I would have hit one of the dogs as well as a rabbit and most were too small anyway (2011 new models we call "bolters").

Hi Clive, Is there some difference in the workmanship to differentiate the the two ? I find this most interesting, :) I don't have Hizen references to look at so can not be of much help. I wonder has someone else seen a shodai Tadakuni with the Harima no Kami title ?

have you seen the nidais work ? and one last one was wondering if he was working in the same 3 types of hamon? thanks for the

interesting conversation :

PS Clive, You can always come to Australia we have a big rabbit problem and could use the help ;)

According to Eguchi Soshin shodai Tadakuni first signed Hironori and after receiving the Harima Daijo title changed his name to Tadakuni, Kanei 11 1634. When he became the Ogi fief smith he received the Harima no Kami title. When he retired into the priesthood he took the name Kyutetsu. There are oshigata with both titles. John

Hi John thanks for that I had it somewhere and was looking for the passage in a mountain files :) can you tell me if the nidai also

had the Harima no Kami title in your reference ? no date given for the change to Ogi fief smith ? thanks for the help

Hi Jim

Having checked a few more references today, it is still not 100% clear if the shodai had the Harima no Kami title although there is some evidence to suggest that I may have been incorrect in my assertion that the shodai only had the Harima Daijo title. In HIZEN NO KATANA TO TSUBA there are several Tadakuni oshigata illustrated but no shodai are shown with the KAMI title, only later generations. In KANZAN's OSHIGATA, only 3 Tadakuni are illustrated and on one of these he notes it as "shodai Kami mei". Finally in SHINTO TAIKAN There are 10 shodai with the Daijo title and 4 shodai with the Kami title. Unfortunately my HIZEN-TO TAIKAN is out on lone at the moment. These certainly suggest that the nidai Hizen Tadakuni had the title, if we believe these sources (which are known not to be infallible).

John, I presume you are quoting Gordon's translation of Eguchi's Hizento Hikkei but I found him a bit vague on this as there is no date mentioned, which is unlike him. (actually I met him once and we had a damn good chat and a few beers!)

As for the workmanship, as we said before, the majority seem to be in Hizen type suguha but others show a predominantly Bizen style.

Well it has been an nteresting discussion and I think I deserve this evening's beer:

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

• 2 years later...

Hi This wak was sent to Japan for polish and papers. The sword papered shodai Tadakuni Tokubetsu and the fittings Edo era Hozon. The hamon looks perfectly normal on both sides in polish.The sword beat the papers back to the USA, I will try to post the papers when they arrive. I tried to post pics but the images to big, to many pixels. My camera was set at lowest detail. The forging looks awesome........looks like Masahiro or a Tadahiro. text book Hizen hada and hamon. If anyone wants pics I would be glad to foward any requests. Just email me at binheadkiller@aol.com .......Mike. Thanks have a great holiday.

Thanks Jim, I sent you all the pics. Also for you that are Facebook members I have some Tadakuni wak pictures posted there.....search for Mike Canaday in Ohio, look under swords in my albums. Hopefully Jim will be able to post some here for us.

Best

M

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..