Japan Earthquake

Happy to hear your daughter is OK Guido, and also the rest of the people who posted news, one of my Tokyo friends called me to tell me he is fine, he has no family up north so thats lucky. I hope they will find people alive still, since its night there now.

News here in NL reporting the quake was felt in China.

Also that more than 1000 feared dead, 88.000 missing in the coastal region of Sendai,

though that is not officially confirmed by the Japanese authotities.

Just a dreadful numb feeling.

KM

This message just came in from Trevor Absolon of Toraba.com :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear customers,

You will have heard the devastating news by now of the dreadful earthquake in Japan. Myself and my family are unaffected directly.

Unfortunately many good friends in the Soma region are badly effected, and many lives lost we fear. Presently over 5000 homes in the area are reported to be very badly damaged. I know many of these areas intimately and am greatly shocked to see the devastation as information becomes available.

Had my book release not been delayed I was planning a business trip to the area. Luckily I've avoid this tragedy. I will however be offering my assistance to those I know in the Fukushima Prefecture areas of Kashima, Odaka, Soma and Haranomachi/Minami Soma.

Because of this I ask you to understand delayed replies to your correspondence.

Shipping will continue on book orders out of Canada, with degree of delay resulting from my efforts to contact and assist my friends in Soma. I trust that you will understand this.

Thank you.

Trevor Absolon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KM

Just in :

Apparently Niigata and Nagano prefecture suffered a 6.6 scale quake not too long ago, during the night.

It is good that so far none of the members or their families were harmed. Unfortunately news speak of a count measured in hundreds at the best case...

P.S. I don't know if it's the right time to mention this, but it amazes me that a (large) lot of (mostly) strangers scattered around the globe worry for each other like family (just like the fun this group seems to have, when finaly meet each other)... I guess this is something this forum is about...

I was out all day and am just learning of this Terrible event. It so sad to see the devastation and most of all to hear of any loss of life. Thankfully it seems our brothers in the NMB have escaped harm, though I did not see a post from Morita san. Hope he and his family are OK.

My heartfelt prayers go out to the survivors and for the victims, along with my condolences to the families of the poor souls who have perished. God Bless.

On a positive note, finally heard from my in-laws in Tochigi Prefecture and they are all fine though the 6 foot stone wall that runs around their property is mostly on the ground....hoping the trains will be running when we arrive Tuesday....

I don't want to nitpick, but nuclear plants aren't operated with conventional water, but 'heavy' water, for which deuterium is used, and it's actually export controlled by most countries. However nonetheless, Japan running almost solely on nuclear power, I'd imagine they have the means to produce their own or at least have sufficient stock.

I agree with you saying that this thread should not be a discussion.

However; I would like to make things clear.

In Japan, there is no commercial Heavy Water Reactor which uses heavy water. Almost all commercial nuclear reactors for power generation in Japan are PWRs and BWRs. They use light water (conventional water, but precisely pure water with some addictives). And reactors now in question are BWRs.

The current problem in the power stations is not the lack of water, but malfunctions of cooling system.

Bunch of off-topic posts deleted, but thanks for the clarification Moriyama san.

Please keep this thread about the people and places involved. Anything else will be deleted. NO rumours, speculation or sensationalism will be tolerated.

Glad to hear most of our members are fine. I haven't heard anything about the outlying members such as Pierre Nadeau, Andrew etc. From the news here, the scenes in the low lying areas are horrific.

Brian

It's good to hear that your loved ones, relatives, and friends are all okay. I just heard from my sensei based in Machida that they're all okay and not much damage. I also got a reply from Mr Takehiko Namikawa of Namikawa Heibei that they're all well:

Thank you for your concern and for your thoughtful e-mail.

I appreciate your warm word.

I have never experienced so huge earthquake, and was so scared

Damage and destruction of TOHOKU region of Japan are especially awful.

This morning more than 1300 people becomes died of the earthquake and TSUNAMI.

However Namikawa Family are alive and well at least.

I feel lucky having such customer as you.

Once again thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Best Regards,

Takehiko Namikawa

Praying for the safety of everyone in Japan.

I worry for friends in Sendai, but as yet have been unable to acertain if they are alright. According to the BBC news, the explosion in Fukushima has injured some but not seriously. My heart goes out to all who are suffering in the calamity.

Ian Bottomley

According to the latest government's announcement, the explosion at Fukushima 1 nuclear power plant was a hydrogen explosion in the reactor building (and outside of the containment) and the containment vessel is still intact.

My deepest sympathy for all the affected people in Japan . I am relieved to know that Guido and Robert Hughes I met at the last Dai Token Ichi in Tokyo are both O.K. I hope that the other wonderful people I met over there are all safe.

Hey Henry,

Glad to hear that you and yours are all OK. So far so good....glad to hear that most news is good for NMB members

I realise there is huge phone traffic in Japan and delays are occurring...my daughter said the government has designated 171 on the mobile web (like a blog site?) and you can send messages to this number and they will eventually reach your target and (god willing) get you an answer. I don't undersatnd any of this, so maybe a techno will clarify if I have messed it up?

George.

So sad, my thoughts are with all

Has anyone heard from Darcy B? He is over in Japan and we've been in fairly regular email contact, haven't heard from him since... I'm hoping he is alright.. he was heading back to Tokyo towards end March so not sure what part of the country he was in....

Rich Thomas

Rich, just checked his Facebook page, and he posted this:

I left Japan before it happened so I am all good. Feeling for everyone I know there though. Tragic... and I'm supposed to go back shortly, wondering if that is wise given the current situation.

So he's ok.

He also posted this:

Queen Mary 2 was to visit Nagasaki, nearly 800 miles southwest of the epicenter, on Saturday but the ship will instead divert to its next port of call, Beijing, according to Cunard cruise line's website. (Hmm, guess they're gonna carry the ship 100 miles inland.)

So I guess he still has his sense of humour :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..