okakke-mei

John A Stuart

Hi Brian, So, sounds like another way of saying gimei. I've seen examples of this on tsuba if I remember aright and there is a signature of the actual artisan as well. A nijimei okakke-mei just seems unproven as to what the intent was in the 13th cent. without any inscribed dedication. Thanks Brian

Steve, the Rai attribution smacked my face at that price (so far). John

If the owner of a sword orders someone to chisel a Mei into an unsigned blade (or does it himself) it's still Gimei.,even when he has a definite knowledge on the swordsmith who made it.I have read of some pre WW II-

examples where this had been done to improve the value of the pieces.

"Okakke-Mei" is definitely not a sword term from the Nihonto community.

A sword owner from the pre-NBTHK/NTHK-Origami-era with an unsigned blade from a famous swordsmith could have let an expert put a Kinpun/Kinzogan-Mei (in gold or laquer) on the blade.Ludolf

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi all,

One of the Japanese dealers I occasionally buy fittings from told me off recently for using the term gimei!

He informed me that "it is not the swords fault if it starts off as a perfectly good mumei sword and then, later in it's life, it has a dubious signature added to it".

Apparently, we should show more respect by calling it "atomei" which means "later signature".

I still don't know if he was telling me this because he was truly sensitive to the feelings of his sword's incumbant "spirits" or whether he had a trunkful of gimei blades in the boot of his car.

All the best,

Simon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..