Help needed

jason y

Bruno,

I have seen many swords that had an acceptance stamp removed, in an attempt to fool a buyer into thinking the sword is older than WWII. Usually it isn't difficult to see this; the stamp is peeded crudely and no effort is made to fill in the missing yasurime.

Grey

When I purchased my Kanefusa katana the stamp was filled in with what must have been a mixture of dirt and wax. I looked at the blade and the nakago for quite a while and then removed some excess oil or grease from the end nearest the machi with some alcohol. That's when the wax in the stamp dissolved and I just about had a fit - the seller said he had no idea and considering it was not in military mounts it wasnt suspected that it was a gunto blade. He sent me some extra stuff but I am sure I paid more than I should have not seeing the stamp before.

Now this was long before internet, ebay and all you could do was try and get some blade from some guy that knew a house where some lady had one in her attic. :dunno:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..