You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts

Hi all,

I have had a few people contact me lately, telling me that they can't log in, and are getting a message saying:

You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below.

It then asks them to enter a visual confirmation code.

Now this hasn't happened too often, but if you enter an incorrect password 3 times, it will force you to do the visual puzzle too, to prevent automated "bots" from logging in and posting spam. So in some cases, people have forgotten their password is case sensitive, and have logged in incorrectly more than 3 times. In this case, please use the lost pass feature to email you the correct password.

However, in a few cases, people who have not logged in for a few days are getting this message the first time they try and log in. I investigated this, and discovered that a lot of forums are currently being hammered but "bots" and spammers trying to log into people's accounts to post spam.

They are automatically trying to log in using obvious password attempts, and although they might be rejected 99.9% of the time, occasionally they manage to log in and post spam.

So while they are trying to hack accounts and log in, they are triggering this "too many attempts" block, and they are unable to proceed.

What this means is that you should always make sure your pass is secure, not obvious, and preferable be unrelated to your username. If you find your pass is locked out, just enter that visual confirmation code along with your pass, and you should be able to log in again fine. The bots don't usually try the same account again, as these are random attempts.

Hope that all makes sense.

Regards,

Brian

Archived