Help with Mei

stephan_hiller

Hi,

some years ago I aquired a nice wakizashi with the mei YOKOYAMA KOZUKE (NO) DAIJO FUJIWARA SUKESADA.

On the other side of the tang is another inscription which I am unable to read. I am not sure whether it might be a date or the owner's name. Help on translating the inscription would be highly appreciated.

http://www.nihonto.de/Gallery/Sukesada/Sukesada.html

Many thanks

Stephan

On the other side, I can read as follows.

武州江戸 ? 之 (Bushu Edo ? Kore)

The 5th Kanji might be Saku (作), though actually I cannot identify that. The 2nd Kanji is old style of shu (州). So, the meaning may be "made this at Edo Bushu".

BTW, regarding the mei, I cannot identify the last 4 characters as "Fujiwara Sukesada".

Only my personal thought.

Hi Stephan,

I have a daisho by this smith, one papered the other in the process. I don't think that this is his work or mei. His normal signature is:

Yokoyama Kozuke Daijo Fujiwara Sukesada on one side and:

Bizen kuni Osafune ju Nin on the other.

You can find a good authenticated example of his mei at:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... id=1623645

The hamon in your sword does not seem typical of his work but it is nonetheless a nice blade.

Best regards, Roger

Hello,

many thanks for the replies. After checking various Sukesada mei I suspect that my blade is not a Sukesada. I had a closer look at the mei and I now think that the last kanji reads "fusa". So it would be a Sukefusa, although I have not found a Sukefusa signing Yokoyama Kozuke.

Stephan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..