Green paper translation help

Mantis dude

Hi all,

Picked up this nice tsuba and it comes with NBTHK papers which are green (I believe that is a good thing!). Very nice tsuba with multiple bugs including...you guessed it a Praying Mantis. I do much better with sword translations, but I can't translate any of this, if someone would be so kind as to do a full translation for me, I would be most appreciative. I can't even get the date, I believe it starts off showa? but then I am lost from there. Most importantly, it is an elegant tsuba and a unique addition to the collection. I have 2 other tsuba to add as well so this is #35. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kamakiri Ken

sukashi_multi_insectgreenpaper.jpg

Hi,

That is a paper for Tokubetsu Kicho Kodogu (特別貴重小道具) issued by NBTHK at Mar. 2nd, 1963.

Aki kusa mushi zu tsuba (秋草虫図鐔): tsuba with pic. of autumnal grasses and insects

Tetsu-ji (鉄地), maru-gata (丸形), niku-bori (肉彫), ji-sukashi (地透): iron ground, round shape, relief, openwork

Mumei (無銘), attributed to Hagi (萩)

Thanks Guys. Can anyone tell me about Hagi? Is this an individual or a school? Never heard of him. Didn't find name in Haynes "Japanese names and associated metalworkers", maybe I missed him. Any help appreciated. Would love to learn more about guy.

Also These being green are indicitive of being higher quality than normal?

Thanks again in advance. All the best

Nobody thanks on the link, funny how many times I have been on his site and never saw this. I guess I never had need to research, testament to all the information on Rich Stein's website.

Milt which issue? I can't wait to read about it.

Thanks for yet more information.

Ken

HArd bugs in general to decipher

bug 1 - not sure if they had lady bugs? but could also be a beetle?

Bug 2 beetle? or

bug 1 or 2 could be bell insects

http://www.freewebs.com/kamakiriken/kozukaupload.htm

Not an entomologist, but a bell insect would be consistent with the autumn grass theme. Best guess. Hope that helps.

" I think more study on hagi is required, the little I have read is that it is one of the Choshu schools "

I think Haynes mentioned "ko hagi is what an old choshu tsuba would look like " or something along that line..................

milt the ronin

I have been searching this evening on hagi tsubas and it seems even most of them that are signed are signed "choshu hagi" ....

I didn't even know that Choshu had so many schools, I thought it was just one didn't know there was like eleven or so branches. Most interesting.

I have found that measuring chart to be very helpful and accurate in pointing to the correct school, although which sub-school is much harder. But it will help narrow the field.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..