can't start a post - can't upload pics...

Hi folks,

Just wondered if anybody came across this one....I can't start posts and can't upload pics...Brian has confirmed that nothing changed on my settings....I get the following message:

Oops....there seems to be a temporary glitch and you don't have permission to perform this action. Please try again in a few minutes, or notify the admin and we will do our best to rectify the issue.

Help!

Jock

Jock...you seem to have started this thread ok :?:

Hmm..some people still getting this error sometimes. Battling to get to the bottom of it. Can I ask anyone with this problem to perhaps post which section they are trying to post in, and also maybe try and post in another section and see if it is section specific?

If totally unable to post..perhaps try to register another username and see if you can post under that name..I can always delete one of the acoxxxxs..just notify me if you do that.

Still working my way through the options..sorry folks.

Brian

You should have two browsers loaded on your machine-one for Back up-

Try another browser if Clearing All temp interenet settings and all that doesn't work.

What browser do you use?

Mozilla seems to work best for me- and I work in IT.

Also remember folks...if you suspect cookies are acting up at any stage, at the bottom left of the forum (just underneath the Wanted to Buy section) is a link to delete all board cookies, and you can then log in again and test.

However this error is an odd one, and php-permissions based. I wish there was a phpBB expert in the house. Doctors...we have. :lol:

Brian

Brian,

I am now getting this:

"Oops....there seems to be a temporary glitch and you don't have permission to perform this action. Please try again in a few minutes, or notify the admin and we will do our best to rectify the issue."

I am only getting it in the Tosogu "Couchman : Newbie looking ...." thread. After posting there once, I cannot post again.

I seem to be able to post in other threads.

Will try cleaning out cookies later.

Hi Folks,

First of all let me thank you for the support. I've done the following:

- deleted all the cookies

- registered again = same result

- used IE as well as Firefox = same result

- used 3 different Laptops = same result

- reset my internet connection = same result

I can't explain it as I never had this problem before.....I can send messages, add to posts but I can't start a post and can't upload pics....

Will try from my office with a different internet provider..will keep you updated...

Jock

What OS -are all three running the same?

The pics are on your system?

Everything works from my side- from two different machines in two locations.

Just trying to help you narrow it down a bit.

Try deleting all history in firefox. Got to HISTORY Choose show all history (your saved passwords for other sites will be deleted) and delete all of it.

Restart and try again with Firefox.

Anybody else having similar issues?

Internal server error is more than likely the host. Could be one that just routing traffic too though. Thats a hard one to pin down-

This software resides on a server somewhere(and many servers between you and server the board resides on are indirectly involved as well). That one may be the server. Many times you get these as a HDD is failing- although- I am not saying that's what is happening(without access that would be difficult to fully conclude). If a bunch of folks are having the exact same issues though- then it's probably not this end.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your support.....the thing that gets me is:

a) I tried 3 different laptops

b) I tried from 2 different servers (home westnet and the office one)

c) I tried IE as well as firefox

d) I tried a new login/password

e) deleted cookies/history etc

I'm at the point of giving up as I can't think of anything else.....

Jock

We will get to the bottom of this, I am working on it daily. Goingo to try escalate this now to hosts and forum software support.

No need to give up..we will sort it out soon I am sure, and if not, in December I will hopefully be updating to the latest software.

Those with errors, please also try browsing with the various urls here..in other words nihontomessageboard.. and militaria..

If you can't post your errors here, and they provide any new info, please feel free to email me if you can't reach me any other way.

Brian

Have submitted the errors to hosts and phpBB support..awaiting feedback.

However one suggestion was that it is possibly caused by "Your host is blocking certain words from being input in a form, ie mod_security"

They are suggesting that the error could be caused by incorrectly blocked words on the server. What I would like to try, is for someone who gets that error message when posting something....could you try and repost in the same forum section, but change the Subect of your post to something short and different, and the Post itself...try and post one or 2 words only....as a test. See if that posts. If so, edit your post, add in the rest of your post, and see if it posts then?

Worth a try, see if there are some common words that are being blocked.

Brian

Edit to add: Host's reply:- We have tweaked some settings Can you please check

Hmm...here's hoping.....

Hi Brian,

I sat here and went through all my previous postings...trying to find out if there was anything different...

I wrote the text and e-mailed it to my other computer...copied and pasted it on your board...that worked only when I tried to submit it it failed....maybe...just maybe the format of the e-mailed copy/paste text wasn't compatible and (eventhough it showed in the window) couldn't be processed....

Just trying to find an answer....it works again for me....just in case somebody else is experiencing the same in the future...

Jock

PS: thanks again!

Still waiting for the other guys who had problems to post and tell if they are sorted out.

If so..seems it might have been the web hosts and some setting they changed. Still hoping all the problems are sorted out and I can sleep easier.

Brian

I can not post any pictures from photobucket now, I get this message "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." I tried different sizes as in thumb nail size and even pictures I posted in the past now get this message when I try to post them as images. Anyone else have this problem?

Try it now?

These #$%^$ are making my life miserable with their unannounced attempts to "improve things" and claims that they haven't done anything different.

:evil:

2 Hours with technical support while supposed to be working and risking getting fired. :doubt:

I really hope things can get back to normal.

Brian

No more problems for me, after trying to clean up everything on my computer and waiting a day or so.

Very strange problems. I couldn't post to a particular thread or PM anyone directly from the existing posts in that thread.

Then two days later... back to normal.

Curran

Not so strange Curran. It was caused by certain words being blocked due to a misconfigured mod_security. Simple really. :roll:

Yeah..if any of that makes sense to you, please teach me..lol.

But anyways...that's what the hosts had done in a run of unannounced settings changes, and once I had managed to figure out the likely cause, all I had to do was convince them to undo some of their "compulsory" changes to get things going again. And then find the next issue with image uploading, and undo that one too. Still waiting to see what other surprises they have in store for me.

Anyways...that's what caused it, and it didn't fix itself :)

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah..still that cookies issue with some pc's. And it does appear to be pc related. Can't get my work one to stay logged in, but home one works perfectly. I think a lot of new browsers etc block cookies or don't handle them well.

If you see url's at the top of your screen with the bold part in them such as: viewforum.php?f=8&sid=baff76bbaca1e1090e765a0da39f23e2 then your browser is not handling cookies well. That part starting with &sid..... should be part of the url every time.

Try the hints in this thread:http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9029 otherwise we have to keep trying to find the source of the problem.

I'm going to try Firefox at work and see if that helps.

Brian

if you cant seem to stay logged in, and it is only a cookie issue the remedy is: you have to turn down your security settings on your browser. then log in with the stay logged in box checked and then set your settings high again. Now if you clean your browser or run an antivirus or spyware it is very possible that the next sweep the cookie will be picked up anbd tossed out, requiring you to do the procedure again.