Trojan horses on image storage sites

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right subforum or not, so I am trusting the mods to put it where it belongs if I have picked it wrong.

Recently, my security software has picked up on trojan horse type viral activity on both photobucket and image shack when I have downloaded pictures. Its not a problem if you have decent anti virus software but it is unusual for these sites to be the source of Trojan horse programs. I thought it may be wise to give a heads up in case anyone is surfing these sites with out-of-date security software.

Happens occasionally, but doesn't appear to come from PB or Imageshack themselves..but from the banner ads they host.

That's why it is hit or miss. All these free image hosts run ads, and it is a fact of life. Just be careful when you surf, and if you can resize images, then rather host them directly here where you are safe®

Brian

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right subforum or not, so I am trusting the mods to put it where it belongs if I have picked it wrong.

Recently, my security software has picked up on trojan horse type viral activity on both photobucket and image shack when I have downloaded pictures. Its not a problem if you have decent anti virus software but it is unusual for these sites to be the source of Trojan horse programs. I thought it may be wise to give a heads up in case anyone is surfing these sites with out-of-date security software.

My two cents: get a Mac :glee:

Hi Peter and Marius

I'm sure this isnt the place for such a discussion, but why would I want a Mac in the first place? they tend to be thought of here as a bit of a geek machine. I know they have great graphics etc, but Mac always seem to be playing catchup and acting as virtual machine to the microsoft based gear. Why buy something different in order to make it act like the OS you are replacing? Its just too hard.

(This question has surely indicated that I am not a computer geek). :D

I've been a Mac owner since they first came out and can say that they are superior to PC/Intel machines in many ways. Very user friendly, and can now run all PC software. The most valuable feature to me is that I have never had to load a bit of antiviral software, purge viruses or worry about what attachments I open etc., since they are virtually impervious to the ones that lurk out there (at least so far and to my knowledge). Just my two koban worth.

Somehow I knew when I posted the original post, that as innocently as it was done I was sure to have it come back and bite me. I may as well get thoroughly mauled.

OK I give up....... ;) What makes a Mac impervious to viruses? Apart from the fact that any self respecting virus possibly wouldn't want to admit to attacking a Mac operating system. (Tongue firmly in cheek).

In short,

Mass efect, Mac is not much in use compare to PC, it is much more fun to go for PC viruses and thus have a mass result.

Most administrations/companies are working on PCs under Microsoft softwares.....

Mac is outrageous expensive compare to PC

OK I give up....... ;) What makes a Mac impervious to viruses? Apart from the fact that any self respecting virus possibly wouldn't want to admit to attacking a Mac operating system. (Tongue firmly in cheek).

Mac OS is based on Unix which has always been safer and more secure than windows. It is also superior to Windows in many areas especially multitasking and I/O.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..