Will it be possible to restore this sword? UPDATE-PICS PG 4!

DaveM4P99

Hi all

Wow this thread has opened more doors than it closed. For me it all comes down to what you can afford, collecting and preserving art swords of any age, is without doubt a very expensive undertaking.

For me to be able to be the ‘caretaker’ of a nihonto until quite recently was just a dream. Due to a windfall this dream could be realised. Did I know enough to buy at auction, no, the same applied to a private buy.

I visited a dealer in London who himself is Japanese, and spent time on my purchase of not one, but two swords, both swords are in Japanese polish, having been imports from Japan by this gentleman.

My point being! Trust, trust of being placed in the hands of someone, you have been convinced will serve you well. Both my blades are in ‘old polish’ could I afford a re-polish perhaps not, would I commit these to a non Japanese polisher, I don't think so. Nothing elitist here, the soul of the samurai, deserves to go home.

Is the value of a blade in its market price? Or is it in the pride of ownership, of something so individual, so visually pleasing, and so importantly historic.

If it's the former, then my blades are worthless compared to some. If it is the latter, then my swords are indeed priceless in my eyes.

Denis

Age 68.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic