Auction opinion

My first impression was that the Hada has an "oil slick" effect seen on the Chinese fakes.... A completely over done grain pattern that you can see from 100 feet!

That is scary that someone is going to part with that much for a peice of crap...

Man what a nightmare.... and wait for the feedback.... the buyer will be saying "what an awesome sword... A+ seller!!"

:x

cheers!

Well it finally went for $3,247.00!!!! :shock:

Man I am glad I found the NMB and learned something before I went silly on swords..... I would say someone is going to be sick to the stomach, but they probably will live in ignorance for years!!!

Thanks to the members for the education in the last year or so...:D

Cheers

Guest Simon Rowson

$3,247.00...........dear God! :cry:

The poor sucker could have bought something very nice for that money. Oh well, maybe he can sell the belt on eBay....at least that looks genuine!

Hi Nigel, I also checked the (1 feedback) buyer's history and he seems to be from Canada rather than Japan so at least he will be able to take ownership of his "national treasure"!

Simon

Morally I don't believe there is any question....

In my business, if I know a potential yacht owner is being spun a line by a yacht broker and being blatantly lied to so he will part with millions, I will tell him in a heart beat..... It's all relative

however what are the rules of ebay with regards to that?

I emailed the seller half way thru the auction, he was very confused to say the least, he had many letters saying that it was a fake. He bought the lot of flag, glasses, the sword with the belt and some other items....all that sounded like it was on the up. I think someone took him by taking out a good sword and adding the crapper. Its a sad day when he let it get out of hand the way it did. There's the chance that he was the one, but it did not sound that way to me.

Guest Simon Rowson

It still might rebound back on the seller as the lucky(?) winner has only one feedback.

Therefore, he may yet pull a runner (which he should do if he's reading this and has any sense).

Simon

I emailed the seller half way thru the auction, he was very confused to say the least, he had many letters saying that it was a fake. He bought the lot of flag, glasses, the sword with the belt and some other items....all that sounded like it was on the up. I think someone took him by taking out a good sword and adding the crapper. Its a sad day when he let it get out of hand the way it did. There's the chance that he was the one, but it did not sound that way to me.

Trouble is that if he suspects that he has been taken, or even suspects the sword is a fake, the he is completely dishonest hawking it on ebay and describing it the way he has done....

He is therefore quite prepared to rip someone else off, which makes him just as bad as the person who took him for a ride..... a few words come to mind for these types of people

:shock:

What are your veiws on emailing the buyer (the innocent party) rather than the seller?

Cheers!

Hi All, Last winter I expressed my opinion about an item that was on e-bay at that time. I said it was most likely poor quality repro. It was not even close to being right so the likehood I was wrong was miniscule, though an opinion only. I received a call from the sellers husband from deep stateside that was uncomfortable to say the least. I don't know how he got my number but thank heaven that litigation did not arise. I feel like the buyer should be advised that he MAY have a repro but am scared that I would be open to litigation. I am boiling about it though. I almost was burned, but, had this board to thank for saving me a similar fate (some dicey tsuba). A stranger but perhaps a victim. If I could contact him other than through e-bay I would. John

I love the saya with flowers. Verrry Prrretty !!! :?

If you are collecting gunto like me then,

Some replicas are easy to spot:

SWORD 1 - http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-WWII-Milit ... dZViewItem

Some, well a little harder ...

SWORD 2 (SHIN-GUNTO) - http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMURAI-SWORD-HANDM ... dZViewItem

SWORD 3 (KAI-GUNTO) - http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-WW2-Japanese-N ... dZViewItem

Is the tsuka-ito brown or black ?

SWORD 4 (NCO) - http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-1935-TOKYO-Gun ... dZViewItem

Others, really hard.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS ONE , TRUE OR FALSE ?

SWORD 5 - http://cgi.ebay.com/Type-98-NCOs-WWII-J ... dZViewItem

Better and better, except for the blades.

Benoit D

I go on the asumption that anything out of china is fake..... looking at all of those links, I would (if seeing them randomly online) beleive fake due to the standard of fittings and the hada being so ridiculously prominent.

The fact that they have all stolen the visual glossary, used on Rich Steins' site, one of the copyrighting it to himself (!!! :lol: ) is a joke....

I do not know much about Gunto, however, but as I said... I would assume all are fake....

Guest Simon Rowson

One thing that seems to be a consistant giveaway on these Chinese fakes, even the most convincing examples (such as the final eBay link given by Benoit earlier), is that the tsukamaki is always twisted in the same direction rather than the alternate twists found on an original tsuka.

I guess this is for saving time during the wrapping process....... an important consideration when you're churning out 500 a day using only child slave labour in a Shanghai sweatshop!

One thing that seems to be a consistant giveaway on these Chinese fakes, even the most convincing examples (such as the final eBay link given by Benoit earlier), is that the tsukamaki is always twisted in the same direction rather than the alternate twists found on an original tsuka.

I guess this is for saving time during the wrapping process....... an important consideration when you're churning out 500 a day using only child slave labour in a Shanghai sweatshop!

Although I generally agree with you, there is IMO (based on having lived in China for almost 5 years) no child slave labor to speak of, and I've seen quite a few so called "Satsuma rebellion swords" where the Itomaki is twisted in the same direction. I think with Chinese fakes it's just a sloppy job without an eye for detail; alternative twisting shouldn't take longer than doing it in the same direction.

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi Guido,

The "child slave labour" jibe was just a joke as, unlike yourself, I have no real knowledge of China's industries (apart from the fact that they seem to churn out an endless supply of tat and then try to pass it off as genuine antiques).

Regarding the ito twisting, I'd forgotten about the so called "Satsuma" swords but I did find (from experimenting myself many years ago) that it is faster to twist all in one direction...especially if you don't bother with the traditional triangular paper wadding underneath each twist.

Best wishes,

Simon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..