Hairy swords?

Guest Simon Rowson

Guest Simon Rowson

A Japanese friend of mine who is an iai exponant of some years standing recently told me that his saya was staring to rattle quite a bit when he performed any kata.

When I suggested small inserts of wood glued inside the koiguchi where the habaki makes contact, he told me that his sensei had already told him the "traditional" Japanese solution. This is human hair, specifically a woman's and sourced from a hairdressers, shoved deep inside the saya until it rests near the kissaki area.

At first I laughed as, with the blade's coating of choji oil, I imagined it looking like the floor of a men's urinal every time it was drawn.

However, my (Japanese) wife just told me that pin cushions in Japan are also traditionally stuffed with human hair as the natural oils prevent rusting.

I wondered if anyone else had heard of this rather strange solution to a loose saya?

Simon

I had the same problem with my Iaido katana some years ago and I used

small pieces of leather glued inside the koiguchi and the problem was

resolved.

While doing research on saya lacquering (again some years ago), I was told that the traditional Japanese brush for applying lacquer was from

women hair.

My wife also use her hairs in soup and salad as a secret ingredient ...

Benoit D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..