Any idea what this design represents?

Ford Hallam

This is an utsushi of a tsuba by the 4th Kanshiro master. It was made last month in my studio by a victim :badgrin: ....I mean student from Brazil, Remo Souza Nogueira. The material is home made tamahagane. I was very impressed with the steel and it responded very nicely to some experimental processes I've been developing that emulate the sort of finish we see on the original works.

It would seem the design was actually conceived by the first master, Nishigaki Kanshiro. There are at least 2 examples in the the Tokyo National Museum and 2 illustrated in Mr Ito's recent book on Kanshiro.

The design is invariably described as being of butterflies. I have never been convinced that this is correct and a while back, while studying this group it finally dawned on me what it is. It's genius! :D

Any thoughts? No prizes for the correct answer...only smug satisfaction, which I always find quite satisfying myself ;)

regards,

Ford

There are some more images of the piece here, as well as some of the other, copper, tsuba he did while with me.

post-229-14196788970106_thumb.jpg

The design is invariably described as being of butterflies.

Beautiful work, you have talented victims, Ford :-)

The first association is of a larva, but this is too irregular. It could also be a pod, perhaps a tamarind pod (don't know if there is any tamarind in Japan, though).

I am more curious about how the tamagahane was smelted. New Zealand iron sand? and the tatara? is there a write up about the process you and your student used Ford? I see the leaf that has had the succulent bits eaten leaving the veins in a track like various caterpillars do. I may be influenced by the earlier reference though and probably would have thought edame otherwise. John

There are some more images of the piece here, as well as some of the other, copper, tsuba he did while with me.

I love them both. The copper tsuba has a very good surface finish. Both are really lovely pieces - is your student soon to become nidai Ford Hallam? ;-)

Are they for sale? Not that I could afford any of them, but they are so good :clap:

no sorry...I think we can draw the suspense out a little while longer ;) No clues either. :glee:

John, Remo actually made the steel himself. He sometimes struggles a little with writing extensive pieces in English but I'll see what we can put on the Ironbrush. There is a very specific quality to steel produced this way that is not seen in modern smelted steel. It is precisely this aspect I've been trying to grasp. From my conversations with various smiths in Japan it would seem they too are after this elusive quality. It's basically a sort of openness of the structure but not in a wrought iron sort of way...hard to describe without running the risk of misunderstanding. When sawing, filing or chiselling it feels quite different also. The patina that are possible are also more convincing in relation to the works we see from the past...the good stuff that is.

Steven, I have a feeling Remo will want to hang on to this for a while but if you contact him he may let you know as and when he can bear to part with it :)

no ni-dai as yet....I still feel quite healthy and intend to stick around a while :D Besides, I have 2 sons who are quite artistic....

When viewed from the other side, as the omote side of the pieces of Jingo

Shigenaga, it could be - with much phantasy - a stylized depiction of the Japan

archipelago (to the right), and the Chinese/Korean mainland (to the left).

:glee:

post-43-14196788973276_thumb.jpg

I think the original inspiration is this:

"Ok, let's cut out an oval here, and a squiggle there. Phew...rough night of sake last night....ok..another squiggle there. Hmm..in a few years from now, this random design is gonna drive 'em nuts!"

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Brian

"Ok, let's cut out an oval here, and a squiggle there. Phew...rough night of sake last night....ok..another squiggle there. Hmm..in a few years from now, this random design is gonna drive 'em nuts!"

I think Brian is closest until now... :D

Hi all

Proximal & Distal Phalanges of the thumb and Metacarpal, Proximal, Middle & Distal Phalanges of the index finger of the left hand as one would hold the Saya and right hand on the Tsuka when the sword is drawn.

Dem Bones........

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..