Looking for help with Tsuba

TAIOSON

Any help the members can give me with this tsuba is greatly appreciated. My attempts to define the sukashi and brass zogan have not been very successful even after looking at at least a hundred pictures.

Reference the TSUBAFRONT view for the following.

My guess at this point is that the brass zogan "stick figures" represents pine needles and the upper left sukashi is possibly a paulownia leaf. or part of a gourd flower. The upper right sukashi looks possibly like a gourd with a gourd flower zogan at the top or large part of the gourd.

The bottom left sukashi has me stumped completely (unless its a funny looking rabbit). It also appears to have gourd flower/paulownia zogans at both ends.

The Tsuba is tetsu, maru gata, with maru mimi and weights 4 oz with an average diameter of 2 7/8 in. A very faint fold line can be seen inside the nakago-ana and sukashi.

All comments are appreciated, thanks.

post-257-14196735700962_thumb.jpg

post-257-14196735702992_thumb.jpg

Definitely pine needles; don't know about the sukashi.

I think it's possible the tsuba has been reduced in size (the diameter was made smaller; this happened sometimes). The sukashi seem too close to the edge to me; it seems unbalanced somehow.

Be interesting to hear what others think on this.

Grey

just my opinion........... I think size was not altered.

I based this on the " tiny " bumps around the edge...........looks like hammer works . Any iron bones on the mimi ?

When in doubt.................. it's a Shoami.

milt the ronin

Thanks to all for the input. First chance I get I'll look for bones in the mimi Milt.

As if Kaisho and Gyosho aren't hard enough, Sosho is impossible but I can see the resemblance in the form John, and it could be. My occidental mind however wants to make an association between the sukashi and the zogan leaf or bloom structure at both ends as if it is all related. Could the sukashi possibly be a paulownia or gourd bloom? I guess there doesn't have to be a relationship between any of it really. I'll acceed to others experience in this area though, y'all are the "spurts".

"Many minds transcend the one".

when I look at the image presented in your post from Sunday, 28 JAN 2007, I see/perceive the outline of (3) figures. The 1st is the outline of a paulownia leaf as already identified in preceding posts, the 2nd is of a daimyo (per the unique head-dress) bowing with arms folded in front of him (aka "the pregnant rabbit figure") and the 3rd figure is of a sheaf of rice. Seems plausible. What do you think :?:

Like I said, I'm no expert. JMHO. I hope this helps. Milt ==> Be nice..... :)

Best Regards,

Consensus of opinion favors the paulownia leaf so we'll say that's what it is.

Andy your interpretation of the pregnant rabbit as a Daimyo is very interesting. I did some research and found these pictures which would tend to support your idea and I like the sheaf of rice possibility for the other.

Any other ideas from anyone?

This stuff is almost like a game and in some cases maybe we'll never know for sure what the correct answer is, unless its submitted for shinsa. Fun trying just the same though.

"Watson, the games afoot"

Thanks guys.

post-257-14196735830509_thumb.jpg

post-257-14196735831432_thumb.jpg

post-257-14196735831984_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Moriyama san for your insight. I think it too looks like ginger now that you suggest it. I appreciate everyones kind help.

Have you had the opportunity to look at the post with the tsuka mei? Sure need your help on that one.

Thanks again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..