this is quite a challenge, for me anyway...

yimu

Hi Mark, thanks for describing it. fake mei does not mean bad blade, of course. I am glad that it turned out to be alright. do you think the Yamano cutting test inscription is real? i mean, isn't it a bit strange that it is not kinzogan?

even though Monroeville is only 15 minute away by car from where I live, i did not go. I was sufficiently discouraged by the discussion here, let's put it that way (had to work too).

I am not an expert on tests, so i can not judge for sure if it is good or bad, it will be enjoyable to do some research. I do have 2 swords with tests that are not filled with gold, both are carved into the nakago, one bladeis Tokubetsu Hozon, the other Juyo, so i know there are good tests done this way.

Blade passed last year, still in Japan, hope it gets back soon. you can check last november NBTHK Journal, it was attributed to Yamato Shizu and the inscription of the test is included. If needed i can post a photo of the text or i have an oshigata in my file somewhere

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..