Wakizashi Questions

TAIOSON

Submitted for the forum members review. This is the blade with the mei reading Bishu Osafune Mori Mitsu (see mei in previous post).

So far everything I've learned from Nagayama's book seems to verify that it is probably from that time, school, and probably the smith. Having said that, I have only this and one other nihonto to look at in real life so I'm hoping the forum members with vastly more experience can look at the pictures and tell me more. I'm having a great deal of difficulty defining the type or classification of the paterns in hamon, shinogiji, boshi etc. Help!

The big question at this point is: Is it worth it, considering the high cost, to have this blade polished and would it increase the value if I did. A full restoration would probably run to $3,000+.

One reservation I have about having it polished is that in my mind polishing it removes the history and life from the blade if that makes any sense. Comments?

Thanks for everyones help.

post-257-14196735694164_thumb.jpg

post-257-14196735695917_thumb.jpg

post-257-14196735697723_thumb.jpg

post-257-14196735699019_thumb.jpg

why not have it shinsa first before making the 3000 UNITED STATES DOLLARS decision. ?

There's the NTHK ( Yoshikawa )oversea shinsa coming up in April in Chicago..............

to have a " fair and balanced " view ( aka Cable Fox news ), then there's

the NTHK ( NPO ) oversea shinsa in Minneapolis in June ...........

milt the ronin

seems like they are having shinsa once a year in different cities.............

closest one to you this year is the Chicago show in April.

http://www.midwesttokenkai.com/show/Welcome.html

while there, you can drop some serious $ on my table .............

if you can't wait till April........... then check my e-snipes for sale folder

http://www.esnips.com/web/sujikabuto-forsale

milt the ronin

Thank you Milt for the wise words, you are absolutely right. Do you know if Shinsa is conducted in different cities or the same ones all the time. I would like to find one as close to Georgia as possible.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Especially since this wakizashi is signed, Bungo's advice of submitting it for shinsa is very reasonable advice. In addition to having the mei validated, both NTHK organizations give a number rating. If the number, which represents a % based on quality of the individuals work, is 70 points or higher, it 'might validate' having the blade polished. One important question to have answered is; is this "Morimitsu's personal work" or is this "Morimitsu school work" ?

There is the option of submitting the sword to the MN show (shinsa) by registered mail for a fee. The downside is it will be difficult to learn and ask questions if you're not there.

Franco

Thanks Milt, if I make to Chicago I'll make it a point to stop by.

Thanks also Franco for the sage advise. I'm quite leery about sending anything through the mail (MN show) and you are right, hard to ask questions and learn by looking and listening. Best bet would be to try for Chicago.

Doubt that I'd be lucky enough to have Morimitsu's personal work but,...who knows. Assuming that it is rated above 70 pts and I have it polished, does that raise the value, aside from being able to enjoy the true beauty of the blade itself?

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..