Kai gunto,UB178, Penang,Admiral Ichioka.

Lindus

Request for information and photographs.

I have a Kai Gunto aledgedly presented to Korvetten Kapitan Wilhelm Spahr of U178 by Admiral Ichioka at Penang naval base,1943.

Aquired from Angela bassett , widow of a British intellegence officer who followed the advance through Europe and retrieved this in the U boat pens at Bordeux late 1944/45.

The Uboat sailed from Penang to Bordeux May 25th,1944......my request is that if any of the German or Japanese members could supply details of the Penang and other far eastern Uboat stations,dates and photographs it would be most appreciated.

The kai gunto is fairly good with Sam'e saya etc, blade unsigned and obviously late in construction, it comes with a tachi style stand that has applied silver Mon in both German and Buddhist swastika type decoration and some Japanese characters in a white metal.

I will not publish photographs for obvious reasons, eg swastika and legislation etc.

The request is for information on the garden party held at the Japanese base prior to the sailing of the Uboat.

Thanks

Roy

Roy,

The Buddhist manji symbol predates the German use of it by many hundreds of years, and even those who are sensitive to it know that it is not used in a malicious way on Japanese swords. I think you are safe to post pics. I expect they were added to your item long before it attracted other meanings.

Brian

details of the Penang and other far eastern Uboat stations,dates and photographs it would be most appreciated.

Hi Lindus.

Assuming you're asking about U-178 stations only and not about all german submarines in the area, and hoping you've not already found it, hereunder a link to the

patrols U-178 made. Hope it helps.

http://uboat.net/boats/patrols/u178.html

Hi Lindus. A relative of somebody of the crew has given these pics from a personal album.

A lunch/dinner with Japanese personel. The presentation day ?

labeled Garden celebration in the Botani garden in Penang October 1943:

U_178_zzz3.jpg

U_178_back_home_b5.jpg

U_178_back_home_b4.jpg

U_178_zzz2.jpg

U_178_back_home_b3.jpg

celebration-11.jpg

On board :

U_178_zzz17.jpg

U-178 crew just back home. See the Swan insigna:

U_178_back_home.jpg

Seems they carried back rubber :

U_178_back_home_b2.jpg

U_178_back_home_b1.jpg

There is an italian that has dedicated studies to U-178 far East trip and that helped to label these pics. you should get in touch with him. I'm PMing you with details.

BTW the brother of my grandfather was in italian submarine fleet during WWII 8) .

Hereunder an interesting pic. Translation (to be enhanched by Moriyama-san, Morita-san or somebodyelse).

Together with Wulf (???) a submarine fighter (belonging to?)

our ally armed force, both on Atlantic ocean and on Indian ocean

(fought?) aggressively on the way, we wish you luck and health.

in Penang,

Imperial Japanese Navy

Noguchi (??)

Wulf (if correctly translated) might be the name/emblem of another U-boot of the Monsun force as well as the name of a crew's member.

U_178_japanese_text.jpg

Thats absolutely splendid gentlemen, I sold the sword and stand a while back on my set aside system but it was one of the most interesting finds of my collecting adventure.

I wish I had asked more questions at the time but dont we all now.....as the collection goes to various parts of the world I find a need to add where ever I can to the history even though the item is no longer in my possession....is that odd?.

Will pass onto the new owner whatever I can find out, great hobby is it not.

:) Roy

• Like 1

Great story here guys!!!

I'm very touched by this story.

Italian submarines had the same task in the same period, but because of Italy surrendered in September, 8 1943 they were included in the "Monsun" german fleet and, after the Germany's

surrender, into the IJN. The crews were either integrated in the German (and then Japanese) Navy or interned, even by US army after Japan's surrender accordingly with their decision to

join the fascist Repubblica Sociale Italiana or not. A very, very few survived this modern Odissey.

There should be a survivor of one of the italian submarines (the "Cappellini", then U-IT-24, then, I-503) still alive in Japan, Raffaello Sanzio. He've got his wife's family name, Kobayashi.

It's not my relative, but might have known my grandfather's brother.

post-54-14196788554918_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hi Sir, 

I am writing with reference to the photographs of the German and Japanese officials posted on this site. I would like to use these photographs for a documentary I am currently working on. 

The documentary is primarily about the Indian National Army and World War 2, thus concentrates in South East Asia. There is a section dedicated to Penang and Ipoh in the film. I would like to use these photographs in that context. 

The film will credit the owner of the photographs acknowledging his/her support. 

I will be glad if I am directed to the person who owns these archival photographs. Looking forward to your response!

Regards

Aditi Chaudhuri

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..