Amazing find, Your chance to tell us about a bargain or find

Hello fellow nihonto enthusiasts.

I would be interested to hear from fellow members of their stories for having a great find or got a great deal. Im sure there are plenty out there.

I think that there would be others that would love to hear how you found a nice nihonto at a garage sale or found it in the roof. Your chance to show us all that there are still great deals out there if you know what to look for. :clap:

Alternatively if you have been a sucker on the receiving end of buying a treasure which turned out to be a not so treasure. :bang:

Love to hear any stories if the moderators will allow the topic to continue.

Steve

I'll bite.

Visiting my daughter in Independence Oregon a few years ago I walked "downtown" and visited some junk/"antique" shops.

I found a dilapidated shirasaya and it held a wakazashi. Obtaining permission to remove the tsuka I found suriage nakago, edigu kiku, signed Omi no Kami Minamoto Hisamichi.

Although it had been polished to death with little hamachi remaining I felt it was worth the $150.00 I paid for it.

It's provided several hrs. of study and appreciation.

about 18 years ago a chap brought a sack of edged weapons to my home, then, just outside Penzance.

Amongst the dross was an imposing naginata shaped piece of steel.

On a hunch I swapped a showato for this blade as a "real samurai sword" was what the fellow was looking for.. The showato had cost me £350.

Long story short, which many UK readers will know, the naginata proved to be a masterpiece by Koyama Munetsugu. It was later awarded Juyo tokubetsu.

I've always been extremely lucky in finding treasures.....just ask my wife :glee:

ford

• Like 3

Gentlemen

I also know this piece and I am sure that FORD IS WRONG! (possibly for the first time in his life) as it is Juyo Token and not Tokubetsu Juyo. It is supposed to be one of only two naginata by this man to be so designated and it is the better of the two, I am told. I have written about it and drawn oshigata that may be found on http://www.To-ken.com Go to "Articles" and it is entitled "Koyama Munetsugu by Clive Sinclaire". Incidentally, I also own a katana by Koyama Munetsugu that was originally polished by Tony Norman. It turned up at a local Arms Fair that I was unable to attend and was bought for a mere £400. Apparently it changed hands twice on the day and ended up at £1400. By the time it came to me it was a 5 figure sum but still an incredible bargain (these things are all relative, of course, a bargain is not necessarily just cheap). It was exhibited at the NBTHK's Japanese Sword Museum at Yoyogi in December 2004. I have seem many swords by Koyama Munetsugu but none to equal mine except for the aforementioned naginata. It is also described, illustrated and there is an oshigata in the same article as the naginata.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Still, even a Juyo shinshinto is quite rare......

I have seen many works by this smith and they have always been of excellent quality. One that stands out was one apparently made for test cutting. It had 11 different tests inscribed as I recall. He was quite concerned with the practical.

Yah...I knew I was wrong ...which makes me right AGAIN

Ford

To say that you proceeded knowing that you were wrong hardly makes you right. I can think of many adjectives to describe such an approach, none of which are flattering or would be expected by our own Van Gogh (I choose the similarity advisably) of modern art in metalwork.

Clive Sinclaire

about 18 years ago a chap brought a sack of edged weapons to my home, then, just outside Penzance.

Amongst the dross was an imposing naginata shaped piece of steel.

On a hunch I swapped a showato for this blade as a "real samurai sword" was what the fellow was looking for.. The showato had cost me £350.

Long story short, which many UK readers will know, the naginata proved to be a masterpiece by Koyama Munetsugu. It was later awarded Juyo tokubetsu.

I've always been extremely lucky in finding treasures.....just ask my wife :glee:

ford

That was my bloody Showato and in my patch you swine{Nicest possible Pig reference} and I still only have the rotten picture that I took on the carpet when we all got horribly drunk that night... :glee:

Good one though

Roy

Gentlemen, My favourite has to be an armour made by Ki Yasukiyo in 1847. Not old but of wonderful quality and in superb condition. I acquired it over 45 years ago from Ireland after a period of negotiation that lasted about 9 months. All in russet steel with mid-blue lacing and pale blue hemp died with the owner's kamon. It is signed by the maker in the helmet, on the mask, sleeves and dou. The long inscription on the dou states that it was made for Nakagawa Mochinori, a 'retainer' of the Chohan (the Mori of Nagato) and that Yasukiyo had been a pupil of Miochin Muneyoshi. The subsequent discovery of Muneyasu's diary shows that Yasukiyo was only 19 when he was sent to Edo and that he only stayed there a couple of years, making my armour on his return. Clearly he was already a qualified armour who was sent to learn the fashionable niceties in the shogun's capital. Being russet, the entire surface of the steel is visible and I have yet to find a single fire-scar or other blemish. Altogether a lovely thing and unusual being so well documented.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 2

I picked up a Koyama Munetsugu Katana at an arms fair in Sydney. Got it very very cheap. Chap brought it to the table, mounts virtualy none existent and overal not in very good condition. Still healthy though. Sent it for polish, hasn't returned yet. Will submit it at the next Sydney Shinsa.

• 6 years later...

Pardon, at least for me there seems to be a lot of if's here, where it might be wise to discuss before throwing the cost of a "full polish" on this sword. Just saying.

This particular sword was discussed on this board back in November.  I then sent it out to be examined by another member of this board.  

Here is the link to the follow-up thread Steve started after having been able to examine the sword in hand.  I appreciate the time and effort effort that both he and Bob Benson made in helping to identify the smith. 

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/21118-buzen-nakatsu-ju-fuji/?hl=tomoie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..