Noshu Seki ju Tadakatsu - Gendai or Showa?

Brian

All,

I just picked up a sword that I purchased recently..and just discovered it is the one that was discussed previously on the forum here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nihontomessa ... php?p=3378

Didn't even realise it was on here :D

It is signed "Noshu Seki ju Tadakatsu kore kitau (濃洲関住忠勝之鍛)"

Anyways...it has an interesting hamon that looks like it has some choji in it.

Looks like it had a bit of etching previously to bring out the hamon, and I was wondering if anyone has a good idea if this would be oil or water quenched, and if it is just a showa blade or perhaps might be a Gendai blade. Blade is in good condition, and looks like it hasn't been worked on much before.

He is listed as a Seki smith, but I don't know if he made just mass produced blades, or if he might have done Gendaito too. Could also be forged and folded, but from non-traditional steel?

No stamps on the nakago, and quite a bit of activity running though the choji, but needs a lot of cleaning to be able to see much more at this stage. Will post pics of the entire blade later with nakago. Nicely signed with nice yasurime, and older fittings. Also appears to be a punched mekugo ana possibly.

Appreciate any comments.

Brian

g50.jpg

Dsc00010.jpg

Dsc00008.jpg

Dsc00007.jpg

I just picked up a sword that I purchased recently for sale, trade or to keep..and just discovered it is the one that was discussed previously on the forum here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nihontomessa ... php?p=3378

Didn't even realise it was on here :D

The world is little, and NihonTo world even more... :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..