I am thinking of buying some armour from Japan (i live in the UK). Now this armour (kabuto in fact), is expensive as you can imagine.

Now the last thing i want is to pay more money for import tax etc when the helmet arrives.

Now i know you can declare the value as less than it is, but with something this expensive i dont really want to risk that.

I have read somewhere that if declared as antique over 100 years, you dont pay any tax. But will i get stung for anything else?

How can i ensure i dont have to pay more money once it gets here?

Hope you can help!

Thanks

LDR

Hi LDR, I absolutely freak sometimes when I see declared values excessively low or the box for gift ticked. If it came to litigation guess what would happen? I think the gov sucks enough blood from out of our veins as it is and don't want to bleed dry, but sometimes honesty really is the best policy. Here in Canada we can import antiques with documentation with no surcharge, though the GST tax of 7% is still sometimes applicable. Most times this has gone smoothly for swords, art, all the way to large furniture pieces. I had one incidence where documentation was refuted which cost me reshipping from SoCal back to Canada plus $600 for duty. Otherwise, litigation for who knows how long. The best thing is ring the right folk, Customs and Excise?, and ask what is needed in the way of docs and prepare accordingly. I don't reckon you'll have any real trouble. Luck, John

Out of curiosity, what kind of documentation is required in order to show that an item is antique for import to Canada? I'm looking at some swords from dealers in the States, and am loathe to pay hundreds of dollars in customs charges. If there's a way out of this, I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

Thanks,

steve r

don't mean to hijack the post, sorry!?

LDR,

If the UK is like here, then you don't pay any import duties on any antique older than 100yrs (I think most countries have that rule)

You would have to have them declare it as an antique though, and prepare for them to ask for proof.

We here however, do pay 14% VAT (which you have there too) and I think you may be liable for any Vat taxes.

With clearing fees, and the made-up exchange rate they use, I usually pay about 17% on items that are antique.

No real way around that as John rightfully showed.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Steve, I generally have no problem when a declaration is attached to the outside of the crate by the seller. When I have had pieces go to packing companies for shipping, as some sellers do, and they have forgotten to attach the declaration, there is usually an invoice from the customs broker. At this time you can send your documentation by fax to them and they will get the fees adjusted with customs. This will cause a slight delay. On lower priced items they may come to you in two ways. One is with the invoice attached like a COD charge. You must pay this and send copies of the receipt and declaration for rebate by cheque. The second is an invoice will be mailed separately. It is easier to pay it and send in the forms for rebate, but you could do it through the broker as well. My biggest worry is sometimes the crates are rigorously searched/assessed which makes me fret over possible damage although this is done willy nilly. Another worry is the declaration alerts possible thieves just what is in the crate. Insurance is possible for big ticket items only with private carriers but you pay for the peace of mind. Our customs people are pretty good as long as they do not think they are getting snowed. John

Sorry, I forgot to add what documentation is required. This is a declaration by the seller that such and such an item is a particular age. I have had these declarations just inked in on the US customs forms accepted. I have also had letters with official letterhead, phone no., address with est. age given accepted. I like the latter for proof of provenance when divesting also. John

" there is usually an invoice from the customs broker. At this time you can send your documentation by fax to them and they will get the fees adjusted with customs. This will cause a slight delay "

My experience with antiques from Canada using the " private carriers " ( eg. fed ex, UPS ) is that they will nail you for the custom broker's fee just to meet their slogan " it's next day or it's on us "...............

the triplicate declaration can say over 100 ( or 1000 , whatever )years old......... make no difference. Pay the broker's fee or no package.

Good luck trying to get the $ back from that custom broker :badgrin:

so If I buy anything from Canada, i insist on the post office, if customs want to take a look see, so be it !!

Hi Milt, This might help others as well. You can have your own broker handle all this by notifying them ahead of time . They intercept the item and do everything for you. They are not expensive, usually below $75. Milt, I meant by private carriers, a bonded shipping/trucking company not UPS, or FedEx. I get a fair bit of stuff shipped by UPS and items sent that way to me arrive at the closest terminal with an UPS contract about 1100 km from me and they just put it in the regular post from there. John

John,

The point is the package is supposed to be " tax exempt " to begin with , so who asked or need the custom broker's service ?

The private carrier just lump everything and pass the bill onto the recipient just so they can claim on time delivery.

milt the ronin

Hi Milt, I have had very few problems coming this way. Rebates have to come from the gov not the broker after it has left customs. The advantage of having the broker preaware is to prevent mistakes. I do not trust gov run outfits to always get it right. Guilty until proven innocent. At least if one is made your receipt of payment can be sent to your gov agency and you get the money back, hassle though. You have this too I expect, don't you? John

" At least if one is made your receipt of payment can be sent to your gov agency and you get the money back, hassle though. You have this too I expect, don't you? John "

one would rather not contact any government agency........esp. the IRS !! :doubt:

milt

" At least if one is made your receipt of payment can be sent to your gov agency and you get the money back, hassle though. You have this too I expect, don't you? John "

one would rather not contact any government agency........esp. the IRS !! :doubt:

milt

Yo Milt,

If you refuse to accept tax refund money from IRS....then my bank is open to deposit nice and easy.......Hassle free....

ahahaahahaha

• 3 weeks later...

UK import for non-EU sourced antiques is 5% VAT.

Describe the item in excess... guarantee more than 100 years old, include a copy of the papers or certificate in with the waybill and translate if necessary to illustrate the age. Documentation, documentation, documentation. If you pay by cheque, insert a photocopy of the cheque in with the waybill to establish the amount you paid. If by wire transfer, a copy of the wire transfer documents. Fax these to the shipper so they can be included with your shipment.

If you document and try to answer all questions in advance, making sure it is described as Antique Object: Japanese Samurai Helmet, and list the materials it is made of, it will let the broker make sure it is classified right.

Finally ship by Fedex, they will classify it correctly 99% of the time. If you go by other means it's a bit of a crapshoot. Sometimes items will fall into full-VAT categories if a broker does a lazy job or doesn't realize there is a discount for antique objects for most EU countries.

Also if you import from another EU country there is no VAT at all to pay in the UK.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..