Another Mei Translation

rallypointmilitaria

Wow. Once again you folks blow me away. Sometimes I don't think I'll ever be able to recognize kanji. I've tried several times to figure out some of the mei that have been posted here, and have yet to be successful. But everytime someone nails it, it seems so obvious! I can't believe how frustrating (but fun!) this is. Thanks for helping a lowly beginner take his first steps, and keep up the great work!

I looked at the kanji in Yumoto's book, and I can see why many of you think that the mei is Kanenori (as opposed to kaneuji), but when I look at the oshigata for Kanenori in Sloan's book, the examples for the symbol "Nori" look nothing like the symbols for "Nori" in Yumoto's book. However, the oshigata on p. 57 showing the date (on plate B) looks very similar to the pic in this thread. Can anyone explain this?

---Chris

Chris,

There are many characters that are totally different that can read the same.

There is more than one kanji for "nori" and they can be completely different.

The same goes for other sounds too. Different smiths used a different kanji for the same name, and it is one way you can narrow down the smiths sometimes.

Take a look at this page: http://www.nihontokanjipages.com/kanji_for_mei.html

One of the best out there for kanji :)

2 Nori's there..and at least 6 different ones for "yoshi" as an example.

Regards,

Brian

Edit to add: About the dates..the way I understand it is it is the 18th year of Showa..not Showa plus 18. So 1926 is the first year of Showa, and the 18th year is 1943. Basically add the number and minus one.

Not only that Chris, you can have same kanji for different sounds....

i.e. I called "shiki" on the second kanji, but Moriyama san kindly pointed out that is was "nori" same kanji for two sounds....

just to make things even easier for us, eh??? ;)

Cheers

Not only that Chris, you can have same kanji for different sounds....

i.e. I called "shiki" on the second kanji, but Moriama san kindly pointed out that is was "nori" same kanji for two sounds....

just to make things even easier for us, eh??? ;)

Cheers

This is seriously mind numbing....

--Chris

Hi Chris,

That is exactly what I thought too.... and what moriyama san was referring to...

There is a Tenbun smith signed this waty, Stephen.... cant see any showa's with this....

Kanenori

Mino no kuni (Tenbun)

Seki

KAN1849 (15pts)

1. kanenori

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..