why is Ebay so bad ?

Attached are a photo and an Oshigata of a Masamitsu blade from my own collection. The slim blade structure of this sword, combined with a thick Kasane, shallow Sori and elongated Chū-Kissaki, as well as the Midare-utsuri 乱映り, places it firmly at the end of the Nambokuchō period. Although it lost its signature due to shortening, it displays typical Masamitsu workmanship of outstanding quality, and therefore received a Jūyō Tōken designation without reservation of Den.

This is a JuTo Naginata naoshi, suriage Nakago, 74 cm, by this Masamitsu ...btw other Japanese sources say : the son of Kanemitsu... :dunno: with itame hada mixed with nagare hada and a pronounced bo utsuri and thin Kasane.

Eric

post-369-14196786545879_thumb.jpg

I am in no position to judge the chances it would have at Shinsa. There are smarter people out there and I am happy to rely on their oppinion.

Would be interesting to know who polished the blade.

I can say he is a real gentleman but unfortunately not offering his service to the public. I am very gratefull he did the polish as blade like this that's been polished many times needs to be polished very carefully.

Attached a scan from Fujishiro. My personal unlearned opinion is that it is a close match.

[attachment=0]masamitsu.jpg[/attachment]

I still think the blade is very tired, but it does have some beauty left. If the owner is happy with it, I do not object by any means. What a magnificent piece it was before loosing the kawagane.

Veli

I can assure you the Mei is good. You are right that the blade is pretty tiered. The is one are of Shintetsu around the Bonji Horimono that is a real shame. You are right it must have been much more beuatifull before but still it bares much quality. Thanks for your kind comments.

:popcorn:

Herbert, did you use to post on this board with another name or two or three??

Me too got the feeling he might be the "Honjo Masamune" owner, but it's a long time that I'm walking on thin ice on this board and I didn't dare to rise the exception.

No that's not me. I only have a Hosho Sadamune but it is Gimei for sure - unfortunately :)

This is getting pretty bizarre and ridiculous. :crazy:

Brian

Hello brian,

I agree it is somewhat bizarre and ridicilous. I still do not understand why some of the well educated folk on this fine board bear so much obejection towards eBay. But nevermind!

Well Herbert..

Probably because of the numerous logical and valid reasons presented over the past 5 pages. Y'think?

The only "pro" comments are that there is a tiny possibility of picking up a good sword?

Well hate to burst your bubble, but I simply think that is a terrible excuse to speculate on eBay. The chance that 1000 other Nihonto fans missed something significant?

Yeah. That is like buying every cheap painting you can find in the hope that one of them turns out to be by a Master. It's simply ridiculous reasoning. Lots of Nihonto fans buy on eBay...heck even I do occasionally. But to suggest it is THE suggested method for newcommers is laughable.

Every time a potential collector buys junk and is scammed on eBay, there is a risk of him giving up completely and never pursuing the hobby. I know of a few people that scored good deals on eBay. And without a doubt, every one of them had good knowledge and was able to spot things that a novice wouldn't.

You want to waste money...go buy on eBay and maybe you score once out of every 100. Good odds if you are loaded with cash and patience.

I'm bored of this now, as are most members I am sure. Consider this topic closed early tomorrow.

Brian

I like your picture Herbert they are better than all I have done till now :)

I knew the nakago was signed or you would have disclosed it.

here is an oshigata of a Juyo Kanemitsu (Father/teacher of Masamitsu) hence my answer

it comes (a free ads) from my friend Kitsune who has published his koto book in French.

Numériser0002R.jpg

Well Herbert..

Probably because of the numerous logical and valid reasons presented over the past 5 pages. Y'think?

The only "pro" comments are that there is a tiny possibility of picking up a good sword?

Well hate to burst your bubble, but I simply think that is a terrible excuse to speculate on eBay. The chance that 1000 other Nihonto fans missed something significant?

Yeah. That is like buying every cheap painting you can find in the hope that one of them turns out to be by a Master. It's simply ridiculous reasoning. Lots of Nihonto fans buy on eBay...heck even I do occasionally. But to suggest it is THE suggested method for newcommers is laughable.

Every time a potential collector buys junk and is scammed on eBay, there is a risk of him giving up completely and never pursuing the hobby. I know of a few people that scored good deals on eBay. And without a doubt, every one of them had good knowledge and was able to spot things that a novice wouldn't.

You want to waste money...go buy on eBay and maybe you score once out of every 100. Good odds if you are loaded with cash and patience.

I'm bored of this now, as are most members I am sure. Consider this topic closed early tomorrow.

Brian

Brian, how do you know that most members are bored of this? It seems this topic got quite some attention? If you don't like other people's oppinions that's fine. Please go ahead and close the topic ...

Again the only thing I can say is that people will buy on eBay according to their level of expirience ... the more you buy the more expirience you will gain for sure. I seldom buy anymore on eBay these days but if I do I usually do score very well and my ratio is way better than 1 keeper out of 100 or I would have only 5 swords in my collection by now.

So let's consider this topic closed.

All the best