Mei Translation

rallypointmilitaria

Could it be Nobumitsu?

There are quite a few Showa era smiths with that name.

Like your other one..also signed tachi mei?

(Btw..do we get a discount off your ebay auctions now? :D )

Have seen your listings a few times. Some interesting stuff.

Regards,

Brian

Ray and Brian,

This sword is in Army shin gunto mounts. I can see where one would think the tang looked stainless. I don't think it is though.

I didn't realize you guys noticed my ebay auctions! I mostly sell militaria. I like to collect named uniform groupings from WWI to Vietnam, but that has never stopped me from branching off and collecting other stuff.

I have always dreamed of owning nice shin guntos, but it took me awhile to jump in with both feet and really learn about this field of collecting.

Last week, I sold an oil quenched shin gunto w/ a cool Seki stamp on the saya. You may have noticed it. I have been searching for nice gendaitos for my collection. The two swords I posted today for mei translation have just been offered to me and I want to do my homework.

I cannot translate Japanese, so I am very appreciative that this forum is here to help people like me!

---Chris

Last week, I sold an oil quenched shin gunto w/ a cool Seki stamp on the saya. You may have noticed it.

You mean the one posted in this topic? :)

http://militaria.co.za/nihontomessageboard/viewtopic.php?t=781

what is "tachi mei"?

Tachi mei refers to the side of the tang the signature appears on. "Katana mei" is signed on the side facing you if the blade is pointing up and the tip pointing to the left, "tachi mei" is the other side (as far as I know, feel free to correct me anyone). It relates to how tachi/katana were worn (blade up/blade down).

Last week, I sold an oil quenched shin gunto w/ a cool Seki stamp on the saya. You may have noticed it.

You mean the one posted in this topic? :)

http://militaria.co.za/nihontomessageboard/viewtopic.php?t=781

what is "tachi mei"?

Tachi mei refers to the side of the tang the signature appears on. "Katana mei" is signed on the side facing you if the blade is pointing up and the tip pointing to the left, "tachi mei" is the other side (as far as I know, feel free to correct me anyone). It relates to how tachi/katana were worn (blade up/blade down).

Steve,

That was the sword you have a link for is the one I was referring to.

I think you're right about tachi mei. I remember reading it in my sword books, but at this point in the game, I'm having a hard time retaining everything I read.

---Chris

Thanks for everyones help on identifying this sword.

My questions at this point are:

1. Whether this blade is traditionally made (gendaito) or showato quality?

2. Whether this Nobumitsu is one of the two Nobumitsu's on pps 134 and 135 of John Sloan's book?

Here are some more pics of the Nobumitsu.

---Chris

post-224-14196735546945_thumb.jpg

post-224-14196735548197_thumb.jpg

post-224-14196735549583_thumb.jpg

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi Steve,

Just saw your question about typical gunto signatures:

(Actually, this made me wonder how gunto were typically signed (tachi vs. katana mei)? Considering they are mounted as tachi, I would think tachi mei would be the norm, is this not the case?)

Gunto were nearly always signed katana mei, regardless of how they were manufactured, with a few exceptions such as the Yasukuni swords.

Although mounted in a tachi style, the swords were intended to hang vertically beside the wearer rather than horizontally with the cutting edge down like traditional tachi. Therefore, there was no need to adhere to old rules about signature placement (unless, of course, you were trying to do things totally traditionally....like the Yasukuni smiths!)

Simon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..