I usually write a report on sword shows for the JSSUS Newsletter. You could give the JSSUS a try - our Newsletters are a continuing source of information. Grey Doffin gives a talk on sword etiquette and handling at shows. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Gentlemen

I returned home yesterday from the SF taikai and shinsa. I was pleased to see many fine swords which included 3 daito by Kasama Shigetsugu (with the characteristic Fufo-kaen horimono) and 2 tanto by the same man. These latter were especially interesting as I have not seen tanto by him before and both had fine koshirae, the first being a Rai utsushi and the second in Bizen-den and showing utsuri. I also saw a fine, though rather short special-order Koyama Munetsugu which appealed to me. I confess that I do like shinshinto Bizen works!

The illustrated talk on fine fitting by Mike Yamazaki was erudite in delivery and fascinating in content, whilst Bob Benson's talk on shinshinto blades was illustrated by Masahide, Munetsugu, Sokan etc.

I was a little disapointed not to see many Hizen-to although Barry Hennick was kind enough to show me his Masahiro (thanks Barry) whilst Moses Basseras had another and a Tadakuni. All the shodai Tadayoshi, however, remained hidden from me.

As far as the show itself was concerned, the dealer whose rable I shared, returned home without covering his expences and had a disapointing time. I was pleased with the social side of the taikai, meeting many old friends, including Yoshihara Yoshindo, Lonnie Kapp and others. I enjoyed the trip and San Fran is such a nice city to explore after the event.

As for the shinsa, I was suprised that a mumei blade had a rejection slip rather than an attribution. The paper said "this is a sword by a modern smith of recent manufacture and must be signed" - a new one on me and I understand there were others similar.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

PS If you go to http://www.To-ken.com and enter Member's area, you will find details of the Tampa show in Feb 2011.

"As for the shinsa, I was suprised that a mumei blade had a rejection slip rather than an attribution. The paper said "this is a sword by a modern smith of recent manufacture and must be signed" - a new one on me and I understand there were others similar."

Yes, I submitted a beautiful (in my mind, Shinshinto) blade from which I'd had an obvious gimei professionnaly removed and the nakago re-patinated. it was pinked "this is a modern made sword and should not be unsigned."

If this is the start of a trend at Shinsa, it brings a new question for consideration: Submit with gimei and have it rejected, or have the false mei removed and have it rejected anyway - with, as Clive says, no attribution.

Dan K.

Dan

I also had a gimei removed and required an attribution to a shinshinto piece. Maybe they could tell that the mei had been removed, but I doubt it. I don't think I will bother putting it into shinsa for a 3rd time! Incidentaly, I also had a tsuba rejected as it was unsigned and considered as "probably Showa period", again with no attribution. I guess if they felt unable to attribute the pieces to any name in particular, it was better to reject it as it at least saved us $150 dollars a piece for a worthless arrribution!

Clive Sinclaire

Hello folks, I likewise had a blade pink slipped at the S.F. shinsa as gimei but the koshirae for that blade which I submitted as a suite recieved 72 points. I thought for sure it would be the other way around. I submitted the Koshirae just becouse of the possiblity that it might pass. I can accept thier judgement on the blade. They indicated on the pink slip that it was worth preserving and estimated the work done by "Echizen Seki" , not Masanori as inscribed.

I don't think I will be in a big rush to have the mei removed after reading some of the post; but if I do want to get it removed someday can anybody recommend a place in the USA to send it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..