Warabite To

Lindus

As the previous thread on the translation section has been locked due to some spat between a married couple{Just an assumption based on 43 years of marriage.... :roll: . I would again ask for some input on Warabite, I now appreciate that these are not uncommon but this relic mounted along with coins & ivory turning up in The UK, would examples be in any British museums, just how often do they turn up in the west et al.

I asked my friend how her husband came about this, seems when he was a reader at oxford in the 20's he was loaned out to a German aristocrat who was settling in England. This to catalogue the mans collection, at the end a number of Chinese and Japanese items were given to him, a small collection of swords,books,woodblock prints including a Sharako and amongst other things this item.

No intention of selling as this has been on my wish list for two decades....without actually knowing what it is.....

Thanks in advance

Roy

post-1746-14196786087427_thumb.jpg

Roy.

Most if not all Warabite To have been found in tumuli. Those found in this way are usually prized in museums within Japan. Notably at Nara. There are basically two types of Warabite To that differ mainly in blade style. One is a Hira Zukuri blade as illustrated in the previous thread. The second type has a crude version of the later moroha zukuri style, being a flattish blade, spear pointed and sharpened the whole length of one side and approximately half the length of the back. It is thought in some circles that these are the progenitors of the later 'little crow' style as found on the renowned Kogarasu Maru. Carlo Tacchini would be a good source of information on these swords, and his website has an article that features them. :D

Roy.

Most if not all Warabite To have been found in tumuli. Those found in this way are usually prized in museums within Japan. Notably at Nara. There are basically two types of Warabite To that differ mainly in blade style. One is a Hira Zukuri blade as illustrated in the previous thread. The second type has a crude version of the later moroha zukuri style, being a flattish blade, spear pointed and sharpened the whole length of one side and approximately half the length of the back. It is thought in some circles that these are the progenitors of the later 'little crow' style as found on the renowned Kogarasu Maru. Carlo Tacchini would be a good source of information on these swords, and his website has an article that features them. :D

Thanks Keith

Have to say am embarrased that after 40+ years I did not know what it was :shock:

Will check with Carlo. all I need now is to turn up a "Little Crow" as a friend did recently,later copy but in Kyu gunto mounts and from a dealer who listed it as "Japanese officers sword with odd looking blade"!!!!

Roy

• Like 1

It's indeed and interesting item (at least to me...).

I'm not aware of any other example in private hands in the west, but being them archeological items this could be due to the scarce interest of the vast majority of the public.

Currently I'm working on a major enlargement of the article I linked in a previous post of mine, including new material on Warabite-to.

Here you can see how they looks like when polished (pictures yet to be added to the article) :

warabitetopolished.jpg

warabitetopolished2.jpg

I am sure you are right, as these are so rare that most collectors would descard the concept of study as the know that the likelyhood of owner ship is virtually nill. Having said that for me at least it has opened a dorr into a new aspect of Nihonto,previously Chokuto and Ko Bizen et al were a possibility and most of us have had at least one from the early periods.

I for one look foreward to reading your article.

Thanks

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
[i for one look foreward to reading your article.

It'll need quiet sometime as I'm currently getting professional translation of the new material and then I'll re-elaborate the whole thing.

But you can begin to read the old version : http://www.webalice.it/tsubame1/

First let me thank Carlo for all the information supplied. since I have scoured the web on this subject and added a page to my web site on the Warabite. It has ignited what I thought had left me, a renewed interest in Nihonto, so the concept of owning an Ainu blade slide under my radar...... 8)

Contacted Sumie Kashima who has been a source of what seems to be unbiased help in the pass although I could not afford the price of any on her site, this is the reply to my question......

Dear Mr. Roy Lindus.

I have never seen a warabite-to in market.

They are almost in museum.

Probably it is very difficult to find one.

If some appears, it must be expensive even in poor condition.

If you like warabite-to anyhow, to order new one may be a realistic way.

Sincerely yours.

Sumie Kashima, operator of Usagiya. http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/

Hay Ho,another dream turns to dust but at least my friends gift is golden :bowdown:

Thanks to all

PS...should any member have any Ainu sword I would be "Now" very interested.

Roy

the concept of owning an Ainu blade slide under my radar

Hi Roy.

Thanks for the compliments.

Just a little precisation. Warabiteto are better described as "Emishi" blades rather than "Ainu" blades. Who belong to "Emishi" is still under discussion so I've put an appendix (same link as the main article) about the matter. Long story in short : I believe "Emishi" means everybody not under the Yamato rule (including Ainu but not only). I use the therm "stock" in the text but not sure it's the perfect word to use.

My fault. :lol:

The reproduction of the head of Aterui seems to have tattooed mustaches (implying it's Ainu) but its a much later interpretation of the person and AFAIK Ainu males have (had?) both beards and mustaches, while tattooed mustaches are (were?) just for women.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..