Gunto Type/Style Identification

Hi All,

My friend Ty is Japanese American, and his Grandfather was an officer in the US Army in WWII, and was used as a translator during the war. After the end of the war, his Grandfather was stationed in Japan and received this sword during his stay by what remained of the Japanese command staff.

Ty's Grandfather has passed, and the information he has was told to him by his Aunt and Mother. He thinks the saya has been repaired/replaced but wanted to know more. I sent him some instructions on how to remove the Tsuka, so if there is a stamp or any information under it, I will be sure to post.

post-1946-1419678553474_thumb.jpg

post-1946-14196785537407_thumb.jpg

post-1946-14196785541058_thumb.jpg

post-1946-1419678554449_thumb.jpg

post-1946-14196785546983_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Justin,

The sword is definitely WWII. The fittings are army, what is called "Type 3"...intruduced in 1943. The blade looks very typical of this period, but will need to see swordsmith's signature (slide handle off) to be of more assistance. It seems to have only one peg in handle (usually 2 screws by this time) and I notice that the menuki (hilt ornaments) are directly opposite each other...these are more often "off-set" from each other.

Regards,

George.

I see two pegs in the picture. The 2nd peg is hard to see but it just to the right of the menuki in the first gap showing the same. Looks like the Kuchigane (correct term?) on the saya is broken off. It is the correct saya for the gunto, so I don't know why he think it been replaced.

Your friend's gunto looks completely identical to my grandfather's type 3 gunto before I had it restored. Now it have brown wrapping with black same and the saya is painted green.

There should be a signature on your friend's tang, it might look chippy though. Mine was signed as FUKUMOTO KANEMUNE and was made in January 1945. A very late war sword.

I see two pegs in the picture. The 2nd peg is hard to see but it just to the right of the menuki in the first gap showing the same. Looks like the Kuchigane (correct term?) on the saya is broken off. It is the correct saya for the gunto, so I don't know why he think it been replaced.

Your friend's gunto looks completely identical to my grandfather's type 3 gunto before I had it restored. Now it have brown wrapping with black same and the saya is painted green.

There should be a signature on your friend's tang, it might look chippy though. Mine was signed as FUKUMOTO KANEMUNE and was made in January 1945. A very late war sword.

i have a sword by kanemune too....any chance of a pic of the hamon as he tends to do flamboyant ones and does yours have a kao on the tang too

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..