Japanese Sword, What is it?

Todd,

You have a Japanese WWII Army Shin Gunto signed, "Emura Saku". Others will tell you about Emura (or you can google him); I'll tell you about the bamboo peg that holds the handle in place. Yours look to be broken or nearly so. This peg (mekugi) is very important; it keeps the point of the blade from shattering in the bottom of the scabbard. You need to replace it ASAP. Whittle a bamboo chopstick to fit.

Grey

I'm missing the cap for the pommel, kashira? and the bail, are these parts easily or otherwise found on the loose?

Somewhere around I've got a kabutogane of that pattern. Hatome (the thing the sarute goes in) are very scarce. However, I'm getting a few made to the original specs shortly. That way folks won't have to pull one tsuka apart to repair another. If there are any missing screws in the koiguchi, I'm getting some of them made and patinated as well.

PM me if interested.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Sorry to "butt in", but I would be interested in some replacement hatome and screws too....maybe you should get a gross of each made up...I reckon you would have no trouble getting them ordered by collectors with parts missing. Let me know a price and postage to Australia please? I'd be interested in a few of each!!!.

Regards,

George.

Sorry to "butt in", but I would be interested in some replacement hatome and screws too....maybe you should get a gross of each made up...I reckon you would have no trouble getting them ordered by collectors with parts missing. Let me know a price and postage to Australia please? I'd be interested in a few of each!!!.

I'm getting 200 of each done, largely to see if anyone wants them. Prices are £3.60 per screw and £15 per hatome. The screws aren't particularly cheap, considering they're small and just one up from grub screws, but you don't get a price break unless you have much larger runs of tens of thousands. At that sort of volume you could fully automate it and a couple of hundred would cost pennies to make. However, there is unlikely to be that sort of demand. :-)

I'm thinking of doing other bits - not tsuba or menuki, because those are reasonably catered for, but things like latches, kuchigane, semegane and ishizuke. However, the last three involve metal casting, patination and in some cases gilding, leastways if you want to do it well. Latches would probably have to be made by hand to fit the sword concerned.

Just an idea - however, the number of original items is ever decreasing and it may reduce the number of folks who break up one set of koshirae in order to repair another.

Oh, postage with my items is always free.

Kevin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..