Ishihara Kanenao with star stamp?!

Well I have submitted and received Hozon papers for a star stamped blade and personally seen at least two others (Miyairi Akihira was one, the other I don't recall)....that satisfies me....

I also have a star stamped blade by Yoshihara Nobutake (Kuniie) which I have no doubt would receive Hozon kanteisho. We can make a wager if you wish-I can have it submitted and if it passes, you pay for the kantei sho and related expenses....

............... I have personally talked with several former RJT about their experiences and practices and none of them used mill steel to make blades under contract as it was forbidden. Granted, a small sample but having lived in Japan for 13 years I think I can make some basic assumptions...

Dear Chris, Dear Jacques, Dear George, and all others

first of all many thanks for your very helpful comments.

I don´t want to stress this thread but I have one finale question.

Maybe I have a knot in my brain :freak: but whats up with non traditional blades (from mill steel and not water quenched) with Showa or Seki stamps (Showa-to´s) from a RJT with a Mei from this smith (even if it is a Nakirishimei) if they were not allowed to produce non traditional blades ?

Smiths could make anything they wanted but when a RJT (contract smith for the army) submitted a blade to the military it had to be made a certain way in accordance with the requirements and specs in the contract. Of course a RJT could make blades for private parties or for sale through other outlets and these could be made in any fashion agreed on between those parties. Please remember as well that the RJT program did not get into full swing until around 1942-43 so there are sure to be blades made by these same smiths before this program commenced and those blade could have been made in a variety of ways using a variety of materials.

Very last thoughts:

If I consider all this comments one of my conclusion is that in Japan star stamped blades are NOT allowed like other Showa and Seki stamped blades :?:

Either I am misunderstanding you or you have missed the entire point- that being that star stamped blades are traditionally made and accepted into Japan, showa and seki stamped blades are neither traditionally made nor able to be imported into Japan.

Either I am misunderstanding you or you have missed the entire point- that being that star stamped blades are traditionally made and accepted into Japan, showa and seki stamped blades are neither traditionally made nor able to be imported into Japan.

Sorry, of course you are fully right, it was my mistake :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..