OK, I know its EvilBay, but I couldnt resist the beauty

When I did see this lovely sword I just melted.. The kissaki that are so uniform in shape and the hamon with the utsuri.. I just had to have this beauty.. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123

I will love this sword for its look, I dont give a damn if its a bad sword :dunno:

What do you think guys, isnt it lovely ??

I like that one. I saw it too. Of the few that look good on ebay right now, I think that one looked best. It says it has a blister, but it must be really small because there are a lot of pictures of that sword and you can't see it. I like the couple small pieces of Tobiyaki in the hamon as well.

Good luck man, you'll enjoy studying that one.

Jamie

Niclas

You asked how you see that it is Shinto.

Firstly you handle hundreds of quality swords and you just know what is shinto and what is koto. But to be less mysterious and more scientific, its the hada, the sugata, the hamon, the sori and a myriad of other things that together add up to either a koto or a shinto blade. In the hand it is also the steel itself that tells you.

Chris's suggestion of the Shinto Fukuoka Ishido group is an excellent one. It certainly has the look of their work.

Niclas

Firstly you handle hundreds of quality swords and you just know what is shinto and what is koto. But to be less mysterious and more scientific, its the hada, the sugata, the hamon, the sori and a myriad of other things that together add up to either a koto or a shinto blade. In the hand it is also the steel itself that tells you.

Chris's suggestion of the Shinto Fukuoka Ishido group is an excellent one. It certainly has the look of their work.

Ehumm, looks that you know your things :) :bowdown:

I think I will PM you some questions later ;)

And now I will have a LOOONG wait for it to arrive, But Im also very nervous about the post here in sweden that have sent back swords because they dont want to transport swords. I have written a nice letter to them. :steamed:

I like that one. I saw it too. Of the few that look good on ebay right now, I think that one looked best. It says it has a blister, but it must be really small because there are a lot of pictures of that sword and you can't see it. I like the couple small pieces of Tobiyaki in the hamon as well.

Good luck man, you'll enjoy studying that one.

Jamie

Thanks, I did see the blister. Its a little flaw but I can live with it :) FOREVER !! :D

You should be happy, shinto and the price is great :clap:

Thanks, I will be VERY happy if I get. The price was nice, even at the current exchange rate. I thought that It would be more expensive actually. I had my max bid at $708

Firstly you handle hundreds of quality swords

That right there says it all....most people will never have that experience in their entire lifetime....spending under $700 for a sword you can actually handle and learn from along with investing in some books and reading what is posted on this forum will go a long way. The $700 dollars is just part of the price of an education..it goes both ways though....anyone who sees any problem with his sword should be completely honest and tell him what you think about it so he can learn from your experience and knowledge. His next purchase should be significantly better than his first one. So dont hold back!!!

I was also watching that , though, I admit, I was too gun-shy to bid. Enjoy it! I still hunt for my first real blade.

Can someone enlighten me on what makes the blade blister? Too much heat/ polish?

Thanks, Greg

Just to pick up on what Stephen said. A blister can also be caused by a slag inclusion. Both kinds are just the result of an incomplete hammering process by the smith. The repeated hammering out and folding of the blade billet should exclude all airpockets and slag from the steel, literally driving them out. Its the mark of a good smith to have no slag or aipockets in the steel he draws out into a blade. Easier said than done however. Good steel is the secret to a good sword. No, on second thoughts, its only one of the secrets to a good sword. :D

I was also watching that , though, I admit, I was too gun-shy to bid. Enjoy it! I still hunt for my first real blade.

Can someone enlighten me on what makes the blade blister? Too much heat/ polish?

Thanks, Greg

Hahaha, "gun shy" :D

I just wanted this blade, but as mentioned earlier I put my max bid on $708, so it was close. If someone had put a higher bid I would not bid again.

You guys definitely aren't the only ones.

Wickstrom just purchased a very nice piece as well.

We all have the bug!

Phuiii, is there a cure for the bug ??

I just bought some books and did see another sword that I want !!

I think this bug will ruin me ;)

Niclas

Short answer to the cure....... Nope! I'm afraid that there isnt one.

The trouble with books is they always make you want another sword. The emperor has a couple that I would love to own. Nara has a smogasborg of goodies also.

It probably wont ruin you completely if you keep a curb on the spending. The other alternative is to earn a truckload of money so you can afford the best possible swords and not count the cost.

Welcome to our world. :D

Hmm, that's not good ;)

I have tried many things to get rid of my bug, beer absolut vodka and alot of wine. But I can't get rid of it.

I'm just waiting for the truckload of money to arrive.

The emperor ? Don't you know him ? :D

Just send a nice letter explaining that want some of his swords. Maybe he has many of them so he can give you some. :D

Dear Niclas, I think you made a good purchase. The way I look at it is like this: There is only so many real Japanese swords in the world and there is no shortage of money. Besides the banks are not paying any good intrest right now so why not diversify and invest in some art ? It is fun and educational at the same time.

It really bothers me to hear about countries that will not allow swords in. I hope it never comes to that in the USA. Here in Washington State it is quite easy to get a permit to carry a concealed pistol but it is not lawful to carry a concealed fighting blade. Anyway in your letter to your goverment try to insure them that the sword is a Art object and not a weapon anymore. Good Luck, The two swords I bought from Japan took about four to five weeks to arrive to my front door.

Dear Niclas, I think you made a good purchase. The way I look at it is like this: There is only so many real Japanese swords in the world and there is no shortage of money. Besides the banks are not paying any good intrest right now so why not diversify and invest in some art ? It is fun and educational at the same time.

It really bothers me to hear about countries that will not allow swords in. I hope it never comes to that in the USA. Here in Washington State it is quite easy to get a permit to carry a concealed pistol but it is not lawful to carry a concealed fighting blade. Anyway in your letter to your goverment try to insure them that the sword is a Art object and not a weapon anymore. Good Luck, The two swords I bought from Japan took about four to five weeks to arrive to my front door.

Thanks,

I think I did a nice buy too.

I just got a nice email back from the postal office.

They just related it too the VERY hard weapon law that we have here in Sweden. I have been assured that if it's a antique sword it should not be a problem to import the wakizashi.

BUT it's up to the officer working that day to decide if it ok to let the sword into Sweden or not.

I did write in my mail that it's an art object I'm buying from Japan. Then it's another thing they wrote, but I can still not be sure to get my 2 swords I have bought.

You also have a little strange seeing on the laws. "it's easy to get e permit to have a firearm but it's hard to get a permit for a blade ?"

It takes approximate 2-3 months to get my blades to Sweden from Japan and that is because what happened September the 11:th. So that is also so damn strange. You can import swords on your flights in to USA without any problems. And I can't import swords because airlines don't want to take swords in their luggage to Sweden.

Blade laws are weird. As someone else stated here in the US- We can get A permit to carry a concealed pistol pretty easily. So long as you haven't been convicted of a violent crime, or felony. But carry a blade over about palm length and you're in trouble. But you can own whatever you'd like, including full auto's.

That is so weird.

Here in Sweden you cannot own a full auto rifle or gun.

We are having trouble now to just get e permit to have a hunting rifle.

The government are so suspicious about what's happening here in this little land.

I'm not voting for free guns or like that, but it's a little TOO hard.

I'm having a little story about this.

My father, died in a tragic accident at work and he owned a BSA meteor air gun 4,5mm. It's a licensed gun here in Sweden due to it's high outgoing velocity of the bullet.

The day after my fathers death the police office called and said that we had a gun that was illegal. So we had to go to the police with the gun that same day to leave it for destruction !!

Niclas,

I was referring to Automatic knives in that post. But we can own full auto guns as well. For that though- you do need a permit. Other than that though-our gun laws aren't that strict. And as far as the police go, guns have been legal here forever, since the beginning of the country. So there are so many that aren't registered at all. And sales between people you just basicly write and keep a bill of sale and document all serial numbers. You can literally take cash and hand off a gun you own to someone else. You'd want to document ALL serial #s and Keep a bill of sale just in case that gun were ever stolen and used in a crime or anything weird like that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..