Help with Kai-Gunto signed Fujiwara Kuniyuki

csymmes

I have a Kai-Gunto that I've been told is signed by Fujiwara Kuniyuki (I've been told everything from it will be difficult to identify since there is no province name or date, that it is not a big name Kuniyuki, and that it is from 1596 up to shinshinto). This sword belonged to my great-grandfather who obtained it in hand-to-hand on Munda Island during WWII. It hung on his wall for over 40 yrs. I have attached some photos (sorry for the quality) and you will see there is also a kamon (two crossed falcon feathers).

This is for personal information, as I will be attending the Antique Roadshow to have this and a Shin-Gunto signed by Kondo Akikuni appraised (I posted a couple photos of it on the military discussion board here). I'm looking for any additional information that anyone may be willing to provide. Thanks - CS

After looking at the posted photos, just wanted everyone to know there are no chips. It's laying on a quilt and appears chipped. Thanks again!

post-2172-14196784932055_thumb.jpg

post-2172-14196784932769_thumb.jpg

post-2172-14196784933433_thumb.jpg

post-2172-14196784934025_thumb.jpg

post-2172-14196784935717_thumb.jpg

post-2172-14196784936378_thumb.jpg

CS,

You were told correct about the signature, I believe, and also about the difficulty in determining which Kuniyuki it is. More pictures of the blade and one that shows the whole nakaga (tang) with the signature will help. What I can see of the nakago indicates Shinshin-to at the earliest.

Best of luck with the Roadshow but don't take their appraisal to the bank. Every appraisal of a Japanese sword they've ever shown on air has been goofy.

Grey

CS,

When I said no earlier than Shinshin-to I was going by the sharp file line on the nakago above the mei. Seeing that there is a lot more nakago than what I saw 1st, let me change my mind. The blade has been shortened and could be older.

Your pictures are too small to see much detail. Any chance we can see larger ones?

Grey

Grey, just got a new camera so I'm planning to take new pictures. Any suggestions as to what I should use for a background that will rely enhance the shots? Also, what particular areas do I need to get good shots of to better help?

Stephen, I hope I make the "cut". Would be sad to lose out to a doll or silver spoon! If so, I will definitely post a clip so all can poke fun at the accent!

Thanks.

CS,

Please sign with at least a first name as per the rules. Makes things much easier, thanks :)

The Roadshow will almost certainly cause a smile. They really only know the basics about Nihonto in my past experiences. They will likely only see this as a wartime sword and as militaria. I bet they go in for the GBP1000 range.

It does look like a nice sword. You can tell there was a bit of care in the details. Nice bohi and well cut. I am unable to narrow down the date, but not wartime imho. It is worth some investigating.

Brian

Just got back from the Antique Roadshow.

Only came away with an appraisal, no additional information other than it appeared to be an older blade. Said the Shin-gunto (I've got going on the military board) was worth $800-1200 and the Kai-gunto was $3000-4000.

No tv clips, so I lost out to the dolls and spoons!

-Cowles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..