Arsenal Stamps.

Following this previously posted link http://cb1100f.b10.coreserver.jp/collection3a.html presenting a huge collection of Japanese military swords in Japan, i.e. with broken blades for non-traditional swords, one will notice that many of the swords with intact and therefore traditionally-made State certified blades, bear arsenal stamps.

• 1 month later...

This post is for Chris Bowen.  Chris, I specialize in military mount swords.  How do I get my business's link added to the Commercial/Dealers list on the site?  My business name is St. Croix Blades, and the website address is www.stcroixblades.com.

Thanks Chris!

--Matt

Don't assume because the blade is intact that it is traditionally made. It is rare, but not unheard of, for a non-traditionally made, stamped blade to pass registration shinsa and receive a license.

Indeed, but, to my humble knowledge, that remains an exception. I am just assuming that some blades were traditionally made then stamped to ascertain their military zone of origin an the arsenal which they should be returned to for refurbishing.

Nope. They were stamped to indicate non-traditional manufacture. We have gone down this road before, and although one can always find the rare exception, that generalization stands.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen a Flaming Grenade (possibly Flaming Pearl or Flaming Wheel) cartouche type stamp on a Seki made Shin-Gunto sword. There is a Seki stamp, followed by mei signature, then this cartouche type stamp. Has anybody seen this before?

I thought that perhaps this Flaming Grenade stamp was a commissioning mark for the Grenadiers (Kempeitai)?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thank you for starting this so needed thread.

Last May I bought a Type 98, signed Seki-Ju Kanetomo (confirmed Miwa Kanetomo), dated Showa 17, June.

More details and pictures- and questions- are posted here

The tang is not star stamped.

On the mune there is a Na(goya) and Ho control stamp, and the number "1", matching the seppa and tsuba.

There are no other stamps anywhere on the sword.

What is intriguing is what seams to be a minuscule star stamp between the Na and Ho.

At first I thought it was rust and I was "wishing upon a star", but I have seen a similar stamp (?) on another sword by the same smith at the exact same spot. Unfortunately I was unable to take a picture.

I have not been able to find any information and was hoping you could help me?

Looking forward to your replies,

Best regards,

Wouter

post-3254-0-52075300-1435501181_thumb.jpg

post-3254-0-70844700-1435501191_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Last May I bought a Type 98, signed Seki-Ju Kanetomo (confirmed Miwa Kanetomo), dated Showa 17, June.

On the mune there is a Na(goya) and Ho control stamp, and the number "1", matching the seppa and tsuba.

What is intriguing is what seams to be a minuscule star stamp between the Na and Ho.

At first I thought it was rust and I was "wishing upon a star", but I have seen a similar stamp (?) on another sword by the same smith at the exact same spot. Unfortunately I was unable to take a picture.

Best regards,

Wouter

Sorry, but cant see any star stamp.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, thomas.

You are probably right, even I start doubting, looking at the real thing.

But, then again there is definitely something there and I have seen the exact same marking on another sword from the same smith and period. Unfortunately no pictures.

Hopefully one day this mystery will be solved...

Cheers,

Wouter

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, new here.

I've been all over the net looking for info on this one at the base of the nakago on the mei side, it's on a sword by Takeyama yoshinao (showato), looks like a pear or apple to me. Anyone seen it before? I'm guessing its a makers kokuin since the sword already has a sho stamp.

Cheers

post-3562-0-73564100-1455613596_thumb.jpg

post-3562-0-27947200-1455613743_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have an unusual mark on the seppa of a Kai-gunto, that no one recognizes. I have seen the same stamp on the inside of someone else's removable ashi. It comes with a Koto era blade, "Fuji" mon, in sharksin saya. Seems to be a custom job for someone from a well-to-do family.

Its the character 上 (ue), meaning 'up'.  but it's upside-down. Probably means this is the upper seppa.

• Like 1

Daniel, That is possible, that it means "up". I recently saw a character that means "down", and it is the mirror image of it!

On the subject of your apple/pear stamp, I know I have seen a discussion of it somewhere, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking, or maybe someone will step up that already knows.

Daniel, That is possible, that it means "up". I recently saw a character that means "down", and it is the mirror image of it!

On the subject of your apple/pear stamp, I know I have seen a discussion of it somewhere, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking, or maybe someone will step up that already knows.

I studied Japanese in Tokyo for a year, can speak and read the language, the character is definitely the Kanji for up, but turned upside down.

The kanji for down; 'Shita' is (下), which as you noted is the mirror image of the former.

I'm not 100% sure however that it had the exact significance I suggest, I'm just going with the most likely obvious meaning. It might also be a guide so that whoever is constructing these swords in a factory knows that the seppa goes 'above' the tsuba parts.

Of course, clarification by those with a better understanding would be appreciated, I'm still fairly new to gunto.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm copying this post from another thread because of the new (to this thread) stamp:

he_ozzy_samurai

Chu Jo Saku

Members

36 posts

LocationN.S.W, Australia

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:59 PM

Hey guy's

I purchased a couple tsuka's that have markings i have not seen or in positions not seen before? well by me anyways?,i have a few gunto's with arsenal markings on kabo,but normally with a star and circle with spikes on one side and tokoyo stamp on other, i had 3 of them from memory all the same,well these 2 handles i purchased seem a bit odd to me? one only has the 1 star stamp in the middle? and the other handle has what looks to me like E or some kind of symbol? as i said i had a couple of these i know these stamps are not that common but these 2 tsuka's are just strange to what i have had or seen,i only purchased them purely for the markings,can anyone help or explain what that back to front E symbol is?thanks guys'

Julian

post-3487-0-41870300-1462126014_thumb.png

And here is the replyy from George:

george trotter

Sai Jo Saku

Members

2,096 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:44 AM

Sorry, had some trouble (old and stupid)...

The mark is that of Nakano Shoten, a sword shop of Tokyo. Here is a (cropped) advert from 1942, from p.204 of Dai Nihon Token Shoko Meikan 1942.

The shop was in Kanda Ku, Higashi Fukuta cho and they had branches elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

post-3487-0-65059800-1462126209_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

post-3254-0-35406900-1467796904_thumb.png

Hi,

Best regards,

Wouter

Hi all,

I still have not found an example of this stamp on another mune.

However, on Ohmura's site (http://ohmura-study.net/711.html) I found the what I think is the stamp under discussion.

What I thought was a star, looks very similar -even in size- to the "Se" inspection stamp of the Second Factory of the Kokura Army Arsenal. 

Then again, the other stamps on the mune ( a Mai, or Nagoya arsenal inspection stamp and a Ho inspection stamp, accompanied by the number 1 - as on the sepa) are from another arsenal...

Have you seen any occasions where swords bear stamps of multiple arsenals?

Best regards,

Wouter

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-07-06 at 11.08.27.png

Hi all,

I still have not found an example of this stamp on another mune.

However, on Ohmura's site (http://ohmura-study.net/711.html) I found the what I think is the stamp under discussion.

What I thought was a star, looks very similar -even in size- to the "Se" inspection stamp of the Second Factory of the Kokura Army Arsenal. 

Then again, the other stamps on the mune ( a Mai, or Nagoya arsenal inspection stamp and a Ho inspection stamp, accompanied by the number 1 - as on the sepa) are from another arsenal...

Have you seen any occasions where swords bear stamps of multiple arsenals?

Best regards,

Wouter

Or is it the name of the inspector? (Screenshot also from Ohmura)

BR

Wouter

post-3254-0-95548400-1467797482_thumb.png

Hi,

Best regards,

Wouter

I should also add I have visited a toshigi and after close inspection he is 95% sure the sword is a gendaito (= traditionally made - tamehagane/folded/water tempered). The resting doubt will be confirmed once the blade is polished.

W