Tsuba made by Kaneshige

andreYes

Hi all!

Please help me with identificaton of my new tsuba.

It's made in katchushi style, with wa-mimi, dark dense patina. Probably, there was a nunome zogan decoration on the rim: it seems that there are remains of cross hatch pattern.

Looks like it is the early Edo, I think.

Inscription is 兼重 - Kaneshige.

There are several Kaneshige In Haynes Index: three from Hoan family, Nara, Aizu Shoami, and some other who made sukashi or brass inly tsuba.

The genealogy of Hoan family is quite difficult :) Haynes refers to two Hoan Hisatsugu Kaneshige: the third Hoan (or fourth, according to "An Aestetic study...") and fourth (or fifth). Besides, there is one Hoan Rokuemon Kaneshige.

According to the hako-gaki, came with this tsuba (Markus and Koichi, thank you again for translation), it is made by the 4th or 5th generation of Hoan.

But from the third generation the Hoan masters worked in "pure tsuba maker's work": ubuzukashi, jisukashi and inlay. The katchushi style is common for the first and second generations of this family.

So, can I believe the hako-gaki, and think that this tsuba is made by the third/fourth Hoan master but in the style of previous generations of his family?

Or it is the Hoan Rokuemon Kaneshige - unfortunately, I can't find no additional information about him...

Maybe someone saw more examples of works and inscriptions of these Hoan masters?

Besides, I've found in the web several examples of tsuba signed "Kaneshige". One of them (here and here) have a note: "Signed Kaneshige on the back. Kaneshige apparently prepared iron plates for Hamano school inlay."

Will be very grateful for any comments/opinions!

post-1053-14196784391115_thumb.jpg

post-1053-14196784392629_thumb.jpg

post-1053-14196784395005_thumb.jpg

Dear Andrey,

does this box really belong to this Tsuba?

The Mei(if really a Mei) or better sayd actually the Signature on your´s plate does make me a bit distancing as it seems me on first sight to "clumpsy" or lavish for an Tsubashi of this caliber.

I am not a Hoan collector but i do think just from sight of execution of your´s Tsubas Kanji you should be cautious.

Katchushi and Tosho are generally not signed-also this style was out of order/vogue in those times this Tsubashi did work.

General execution of Kozuka-Ana equally is not appropriate to it´s in box(declared)time i would say.

But perhaps i am completely wrong here?

Sorry-???

Christian

My only observation would be upon the remarkably unworn state of the nakago-hitsu for a tsuba of its supposed age. John L.

I must agree with John observation about the unworn state of the nakago-hitsu ana and the lack of soft metal inserts called sekigane. My Saotome tsuba that I posted on which I was estimating to be early Edo based upon its measurements (which is very important piece of information for determine approximate age) also lack sekigane but shows considerable more wear and alternations consistent with its use as a hand guard likely mounted on multiple swords. Below on another tsuba I have is an example of the soft metal inserts I am talking about.

Yours truly,

David S. (Soshin)

post-1126-14196784411216_thumb.jpg

Hi Andrey,

Here is a second-generation Hoan (Kaneshige) tsuba. As you can see, the work is quite fine. This dates, I believe, to the latter part of the early-Edo period. Christian is correct, I feel, in observing that your tsuba doesn't fit the vogue popular at the time of the third or fourth generation Hoan. I am not aware of these later-generation Hoan producing ko-katchushi style guards, but that doesn't mean they didn't; I'm just not aware of any... ;) I have a vague recollection, however, of seeing at least one of these later-generation Hoan inscribed with a mei that had a look/feel very much like the one on your guard (rather large and "reedy" looking). I find it curious that there are no chisel marks around the nakago-ana... An interesting tsuba, Andrey. Thanks for posting... :)

Cheers,

Steve

post-312-14196784414914_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for comments!

Reinhard, here are the measurements (sorry, I've forgot to indicate them):

vertical x horisontal sizes - 8,6x8,3 cm, thickness ~3,5 mm, mimi - 6 mm. The weight is 156 g.

So, it's quite large and heavy.

Christian,

I can't tell anything for sure about the box, only that it came to me with this tsuba :) ...

Don't know what to think about the nakago-ana...

Sure, it wasn't altered, and if the tsuba was mounted on a sword (the character of pitting on the plate let me hope so) it wasn't remounted to another blade.

Thank you, Steve, you offer me hope :D

And really very nice tsuba, you posted. Made with a good sense of taste!

vertical x horisontal sizes - 8,6x8,3 cm, thickness ~3,5 mm, mimi - 6 mm. The weight is 156 g. So, it's quite large and heavy.

These measurements are pointing towards a Katchushi-style tsuba being reminiscent of older examples and the "good old days". Taking into consideration steel quality, patina, surface finish and other features on the basis of your pics, this tsuba was probably made during Bakumatsu. It aires the revivalist spirit of these days. Lack of craftsmanship combined with a tendency to exaggerate is typical.

I can't help you with the signature, I'm afraid.

reinhard

Andrey,

Your latest pics are probably posted in order to show strong tekkotsu, especially in the rim. Unfortunately these kind of "bones" are not necessarily a hint for old age or quality. Although tekkotsu are a important factor to determine a tsuba's quality, this kind of mixed steel steel was in use during late Edo-period and later, leading to many confusions. Proportions, weight, asymmetry and surface of this tsuba leave me with no other conclusion than before.

reinhard

Reinhard,

No, I just wanted to show the surface more closely. I've noticed tekkotsu only when I edited the photos :)

Thank you again for your estimate!

Though I expected it's an older and more valuable tsuba, I'm not too much disappointed: the possibility of learning is also a great value anyway.

Andrey

sorry to move this to another one of your tsuba, I don't think I've ever seen one quite like this, (we can start another thread if needed mods)

http://tsubaka.ru/20_en.htm

is there in your mind or any board members mind a function to the notch of this tsuba?

BTW very nice web site. Well done !!!

edit ....other than to hold a kozuka

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..