learther restoration

Hi All, I have just come into possession of the leather cover for the tsuka that is used in inclement weather, wwII vintage. I may try and get copies made from this template so to speak. What I am hoping is someone may know how to rehydrate a blackened and dessicated portion of the original. I have applied mink oil to stop further degradation. Is there a solvent/oil combo that would work? I remember reading an archeology article where body lotion was used. Comments, ideas and opinion needed. John

http://www.watchpolishing.com/leatherguide.htm

Hi John!

I've run across the same problem from time-to-time, and really haven't found a, "one-size fits all" answer/solution. Sorry. However, I did find the above link and thought you might find it useful and informative. I hope it helps. Bye for now....

p.s. Have you also considered using pure lanolin? Just a thought. :D

Best Regards,

In SA, the militaria guys use Dubbin on old WW2 holsters and leather bandoliers. Get it from the shoe shops. Beeswax with other additives I think?

Works quite well in moderation. Makes the leather supple and rehydrates.

I use it myself on old holsters, and have had some success. I think the old leather shoe rejuvinators might be the way to go on this, but would approach that method with caution as always.

Brian

Hi Brian, Thanks, I have dubbin, rather common here. I would never have suspected it was common there. Type of weather and all that. Funny when I was in the military everything was Nato stuff. Regular old spit shine on dress boots and for combat boots we had small tins of liquid silicone with a cotton dauber. While this thread is fresh, I wonder if anyone would be interested in these protective covers if I had some of our fur people copy them in moose or deer or even cowhide? The fur business is sporadic and some other work could be possible. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..