Ono Yoshimitsu test

tetsugendo11

I wonder how many of the boards members actually own an Ono sword? Or how many are considering purchasing one

Not a lot Mike considering the price which is one of a good Juyo blade. And I think nomore than 50 people in NMB have juyo in their collection. Shinsakuto being very specialized, Ono's swords quite rare, I'd say 5 to 10 people at most :) But I wish I had one, the Bizen utsushi I have seen in this thread is gorgeous :bowdown:

Not a lot Mike considering the price which is one of a good Juyo blade

At least one member has had a Ono Yoshimitsu...test "A" ...if it was not meant to be a joke :dunno:

so this means(in eventuallity that the treat-beginning firsts post Nakago A should be a faked one?) that i once owned a fake :steamed: :steamed:

Eric

FYI,

The blade on the Token Sugita site is NOT gimei, this has been confirmed by Ono san. Ono san and Sugita san are good friends. Sugita san is a very reputable dealer, and is very active in helping and educating everyone, Japanese and non-Japanese, to determine which are good swords, old and new, to try to stop this kind of thing.

Best

Hi.Paul, :D

I am not joining "Test" of tetsugendo1.

Against his argument " According to informtion from Japan,When Ono san signed a sword,he never uses formal name " Ono" as part of the signature." , and I show evidence and am rebutting it.

So,I want to say,The swords of " Ono mei " exists.

I found the “Ono mei” in the list of the 27th Shinsaku-Meito Exhibition in 1991 (= 平成三年). The sword may be the same one on the Token-Sugita site ( http://www.token-net.com/katana/3k600-y ... mitsu.html ) which I referred to in my previous post.

Ref. http://www.tousyoukai.jp/rireki/data/h3.pdf

The mei includes “Ono (大野)” part and does not include any characters after 平成三年春. It is exactly the same description as the example A. So, the theory about the example A (so called fake) is incorrect.

post-20-14196782702715_thumb.jpg

So, it seems that both "A" and "B" are genuine Ono blades? :?

To be accurate, the example A as well as B is not explicitly proved to be genuine yet. But at least the two out of three reasons to believe that the example A is a fake are denied, I think.

Hi All,

from some new info (I have been busy with another project) that I would like verified perhaps Paul martin would know this as he deals with Token Sugita. Is that the works signed with the Ono mei were all for shinsakuto exhibtions/ not for general sale (meaning the ones with only the date with nothing after the (haru). Then the ones signed as such for example "B" were for normal general public sale. The word is that there have been fakes of the swords made from the "exhibition" mei and if anyone is thinking of buying one should check with Ono san directly first if there are any suspicion. As soon as I finish this one project I will send a letter to ono san and also speak to another Tosho in Japan. I myself as both a collector and a dealer want to know for sure what is real and what is fake if any at all. Nowadays I see many suspicious blades that haven't been around before the "bad" economic times.

After studying the tagane as well as I could from the sword on Token sugitas site, and comparing it to test example "A",I believe in my opinion that the sword on Token Sugitas site is valid, BUT the sword usee as example "A" is fake, and is a forgery of the blade on Sugita sans site.I wish that I could see the mei more clearly. The basis of my opinion is that the tagane is different on the "A" example. The tagane of the sword on Token Sugitas site is a bit blurry when blown up, but i think I can see the gata gata (excuse my terminology) tagane that Ono san usually used in his mei as compared to the smooth tagane that is in test "A". Please note the use of multiple tagane per stroke in examples deemed genuine in his book, and the lack of such tagane in the so-called forgery example "A".

post-1451-14196782988812_thumb.jpg

Forgive my short replys, but that is all from me for now until I can get something over to Ono san. I must now locate a very rare item (a small sized R2D2 star wars character for my 3 year olds birthday present!) Funny I can find a nanbokucho blade easier than a star wars toy that seems to be sold out everywhere(especially when you need it asap!)

• 3 weeks later...

To All, sorry for the delay I have been preparing for the SF show. I have talked with paul martin, and he has gotten confirmation from Ono san that indeed "A' example is a forgery, and "B" example is genuine. Paul will post more info as he recieves from Onosan. So buyers beware if you are considering a sword by Ono san and it has the same type of signature as example "A" or post it on the Board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to late getting back to this. It ended up being a rather long discussion with not only Ono san but other experienced people from the sword world.

In short, just to confirm, as Mike stated 'A' is a forgery. I was advised however, that rather than possibly broadcasting all the kantei points to the forger, to leave the situation as it is at the moment. However, as with any sword please examine the signature and general level of workmanship carefully. Ono Yoshimitsu's workmanship is of the highest level, anything less be cautious.

Finally, if you come across any blades signed by Ono Yoshimitsu that you are wary of, or considering purchasing, if you send photos or oshigata to me and I will forward them onto to Ono san. Ono san has very generously offered to verify if it his work or not. Any information exchanged will be in the strictest confidence.

Best

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..