Korean War bring backs - Info Please!

Smith

Trying to do some research for my dad. My grandfather (who died shortly after returning) brought these back from Korea. The short sword doesn't have any inscription on the tang only the hand guard. The Handle appears to be lizard or snake of some sort. The long sword has inscription on the tang (both sides) and you used to could see the "ripple" from the different steels on the blade. Both are extremely sharp! The last one is a Ariska bayonet of course. No markings except the two on the hilt. Any help on how to get these in better shape or preserve for the future? The Short sword blade is in pretty good shape while the long sword has some heavy rust in spots. the bayonet is in excellent shape

All three:

GEDC0033.jpg

Long Sword:

GEDC0048.jpg

GEDC0049.jpgGEDC0050-1.jpg

Short Sword:

GEDC0045.jpg

GEDC0036.jpg

GEDC0035.jpg

GEDC0037.jpg

Bayonet:

GEDC0054.jpg

GEDC0051.jpg

GEDC0055.jpg

Smith

You need to sign your posts with your name, as per the rules here.

I'd bet more Detailed photos will be helpful. Detailed pictures of Kanji.

Also you might not want to touch the blades. Finger oil is very corrosive to them. Try getting some choji, or Mineral oil for preservation.

I can't yet translate kanji so I can't help with tha, but others will be able to help there.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..