Auction alert

Hi Stephen, I do not think a sculptor would use 'saku' in his mei. If the last kanji was saku it would read akimitsu saku, but I think the last kanji is yori or I as Chinese reading. All Chinese is KyoKoI. Need the pros for this one. When in Kyoto one time in an antique shop, I saw a bronze of this type about 30" tall and a cast base that was tagged at $60000. Of course that area was so high end my nose was bleeding. It is the Gion area where all the Geisha live. Wonderful people in those shops, one woman even gave me an umbrella because it had started pouring rain. Spring there is pretty wet. Love that area. Anyway, John

Hi Steven, John,

the last kanji is "saku", without any doubt :) . Bronzes of this type and period are almost always signed thus. The, somewhat more common sculptures of this type, from this period ( ie; Meiji ), are often by the Miyao Co.. Their superior products fetch serious prices at auction and are all signed "saku".

fwiw, I wouldn't rate this as being the best quality, one give-away is the close-up of the cloud type engraving. Just not enough feeling or sensitivity there.

Sorry to sound like a snob but I've been spoiled :D . the price suggested however, is probably fair, they are after all, quite large. But...size isn't everything ;)

Ford

I've just had another look at the figures. I'd suggest that the poses and stands are in fact a period attempt to cash in on the deserved reputation of the aforementioned Miyao Co. But, as I have suggested, the quality is really not there when you look closely.

Close, but no cigar :lol:

cheers, Ford

Hi Ford, That is good to know. Does this only refer to bronzes? Okimono do not have saku in the mei and most are three part mei in a lozenge. Like KinKoZan a well known name to illustrate. John

BTW I am due to receive the new book, 'Dictionary of Japanese Artists, Painting, Sculpture, Ceramics, Lacquer". It should be printed and on its way any day now. I hope it addresses issues like the above. I'll let the board community know how it is when it arrives. John

goes to show ya what one thinks is quality, I know if I had done that in metal class id been very happy, but as the old saw says, those who can do and those who cant teach and those who cant teach become teamsters. I appreciate your knowledge and if you have a link to some top casting id like to compare them. Your a breath of fresh air for the board. Hai Domo!

usually bronze of Meiji period show richer patina with various patina treatment ...........numerous examples in Sotheby's, Christie's catalogs.

While this one is nice but , like others siad, not quite the highest quality.

milt the ronin

I've scanned these images from a book to try and show the difference in quality. Admittedly these are far more colourful but compare the crispness of the detailing. Sorry about the size of the images but I could'nt retain the detail if I reduced them.

hope this helps to illustrate the point, Ford

post-229-14196735353635_thumb.jpg

post-229-14196735357631_thumb.jpg

hello Brian,

these are probably as good as Miyao Eisuke gets, there are in fact bronzes out here that are significantly better than these. Miyao was pretty much a factory production set up and their output was extensive. The lower end of the companies work is fairly common, no Meiji collector should be without an example, but as you suggest, the really exceptional stuff is less common and very expensive. My wife has just peeked over my shoulder and read this, she would like you to know that we've probably had a battalion of the little fellas on our kitchen table at one time or another. :roll: She's become quite blase about the stuff :shock:

The really serious stuff is actually less flashy, good brown patinas with perhaps eyes and other very small touches etc. in gold. Stevens taste ;)

Ford

Hi Milt, Not a hawk but very life like. They look as if they are ready to fly. It sure seemed to have a place of honour at the Ex. Are they for sale I wonder? I see the Walters gallery mentioned in the footnote. John

I think they WERE for sale then ( at the Columbia Exposition in Chicago ? ).......they listed the " then " price , followed by the " now " estimate equivalent price but not for sale as they are part of the museum collection (i.e. unless they want to , what's that word, de-acession? , and buy into some impressionist paintings )

milt the ronin

Hi Milt,

Suzuki Chokichi's hawks. Life-size studies in an amazing array of alloy tones and techniques. If that set was on the open market it would easily fetch more than $1000 000. If you'd like me to make a copy for you, pm me ;) I'm sure i could make them for less :badgrin: .

cheers, Ford

Hi Milt,

Suzuki Chokichi's hawks. Life-size studies in an amazing array of alloy tones and techniques. If that set was on the open market it would easily fetch more than $1000 000. If you'd like me to make a copy for you, pm me ;) I'm sure i could make them for less :badgrin: .

cheers, Ford

how about a netsuke size one ?

milt the ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..